Chapter 7

Barely sticking to the update schedule, but here's the next chapter!

Aarohi, Aadhira, Raj and their families were assigned to a long table across the right side of the room along with Rishi and Rhea's families. Malini had arranged seating so that all the parents were seated on one half, and all the children on the other. Rhea and Rishi were seated next to each other, then Raj next to Rishi, then Aryan, and then their sister Sonakshi. Next to Rhea was her younger sister, then Aarohi, then Aadhira. Aadhira had just stuffed a large spoonful of rice into her when Sonakshi threw the punch line of the story she was telling her, and Aadhira began choking on her food, unable to stop her laughter. 

"Aadhi, careful! Sambhal ke," Aarohi rubbed her back and handed her a napkin and her glass of water. "It's ok Puri didi, I'm fine now. And Sona didi, seriously? You waited until I took a bite, on purpose, to tell me the punch line. You're evil. You're children are going to have to be real careful once they grow up." Sonakshi laughed at that. "Probably. But they're going to rip me to shreds with their words way before they'll be old enough for me to pick on them. They're only five and three years old."

Before Aadhira could answer, Aryan interrupted. "Puri didi? May I ask the story behind that interesting nickname." "Of course. Actually, the shortened form of my name Aadhira is Aadhi, like the word 'half'. So whenever didi calls me Aadhi instead Aadhira, I call her Puri didi. You know, like 'half' and 'full'. Also, she's puri ki puri one of those typical badi behen wala didi." Aryan took a sip of water to hide his smile at that explanation. "What exactly does a typical 'badi behen' wala didi constitute?" Raj butted into the conversation. "Like Sona didi is to me, bhai." 

"Oh shut up, Raj. It's been six years since I got married and moved out. Unless you want your peace disturbed again, don't poke me, ok. Sanjay has never stopped me from coming back home." "That's because he can't handle your torture." "Don't go there, Raj. Sanjay always comes with me when I come home and if I wanted to stay there permanently, he would, too." Raj falded his arms and leaned back in his chair, smiling. "Oh I'm definitely going there." Sonakshi threw a pakora from her plate at Raj, and Aryan swerve adjust in time to avoid it's trajectory. He put on his sternest face and stared down Raj and Sonakshi. "If you two don't stop acting like children, then I'll be forced to cuff you over the head like I did when you were children." 

Sonakshi raised her palm in front of Aryan. "Excuse me, bhai. You were also a child then. Remember, you're only two years older than me. And also remember, that were a team against Raj back then." Aryan shrugged. "True, those were good times. But we're not children anymore, and I always trump the both of you because I'm the oldest." Sonakshi simply rolled her eyes and returned to eating her food. But Raj leaned forward and planted his palms on the table. "Do you all know, Maa named me Raj because she thought ki main sab ki dil par raj karunga, but it turned out ki didi aur bhai mera zindagi par raj karne wale hain. So unfair. Aarohi, I am forever indebted to you for agreeing to be my younger sister and saving me from the horrible fate of being the youngest child." Rhea began laughing into Rishi's shoulder, unable to control herself. "It's so nice to see such love between a family." Rishi patted her hand, "Don't worry. They're always like this. You'll get used to it eventually."

The live band that had been hired to play until the end of dinner were playing their last piece, a slow song. Aarohi and Malini planned it so a DJ would take care of the music for the 'sangeet' part of the reception, and a live band would play for the wedding and dinner. Rishi and Rhea stood to dance, officially opening up the dance floor. Aryan stretched out his hand to Aarohi. "Since it seems like we've both finished eating, I hope you don't mind if I request a dance." Aarohi blinked in shock. As reserved as Aryan was, and with their extremely recent introduction, she never would have expected a request to dance, and that too to a slow song. Aarohi loved to dance, but wasn't much for couple dances; even she and Rishi had never danced together. But she saw no mockery in his eyes, only a hint of curiosity, so she nodded.