Chapter 14

Hey, readers! I am back, but unfortunately, I won't be updated very frequently for the next few months. I have an entrance exam coming up, so I have to focus on that. I will still aim to update once a week, but can't guarantee. Wish me luck! And as an apology, here's the next chapter!

Her mother clasped Aarohi's hands as soon as she stepped onto the patio. "Aaru, we just spoke with pandit-ji, and he said that your and Aryan's horoscopes match almost perfectly. We even looked at dates for the engagement, and there is one after one week, then after seven months. Kalyani-ji and I thought you might prefer one week, because..." "Actually, I prefer seven months." Aarohi decided to try her luck. Her family would support any decision she made, and she hoped that if everyone else supported her as well, she might be able to stand against Aryan on this. Anu's smile faltered, while Arvind, Aadhira, and Raj beamed. "Really, beta? I thought you would prefer one week, because in seven months it will clash exactly with your exams. All the arrangements and the chaos, I don't want you to get distracted and stressed." "But an engagement is only a few hours, Maa. I trust that you all will handle the arrangements well. Besides, I don't want anything fancy. Just something simple with close family and friends." "Aunty, Mom, did pandit-ji mention any wedding dates?" Aarohi's mouth dropped internally. The sly fox, of course; she should have known this opportunity was too good to be true. The man who prepared a black folder on his prospective in-laws in one day wouldn't twiddle his thumbs for seven months. There was some underlying factor that was pushing him to marry her, and ASAP. She would figure out what it was, and soon. The only other option was that he fell in love with her on sight, which she couldn't believe. She was no beauty, could only perhaps be considered striking if dressed up the right way, wasn't overly intelligent or an amazing career woman, and to top it all off, she was a recently annulled twenty-two-year-old. And wouldn't a man in love propose to the woman he loved, rather than blackmailing and manipulating her? Bakwas.

Kalyani smiled at her son's question. "He did, he said three months from now, or a year and a half." "Well, then the matter is settled. I have an international conference in seven months, one that only happens every three years, and I would prefer not to miss it." He turned to Aarohi. "Especially if it means you won't be stressed about our engagement during your exams. And I'd rather not wait a year and a half to make you my wife." Aarohi couldn't manage more than a curve of her lips as her plan crumbled in front of her eyes. Everyone laughed at that and teased Aryan about his hurry to marry his bride. He simply smiled in satisfaction. Fortunately, he didn't have to come up with any strategies to win this battle. He had a secret card, the wedding dates, hidden up his sleeve, but he wanted to see if Aarohi would go for the bait and try to delay the engagement. He was almost disappointed when she walked out of the living room without a comment. Aryan also did have to attend the international conference in seven months. It was as if the stars aligned for him today.

Arvind, Aadhira and Raj were the only ones disappointed in the final decision. "Yaar di, why does this always happen to us? Last time you got married and left us in two months. You've barely been back for a few months and now you'll be gone again in three. I have to say Raj, I don't like your brother right now." "Neither do I, the bastard, he's stealing her away from us. He's going to be spending the rest of his life with her, and he won't even let me have a measly year and a half with my choti behen." "Even a year and a half would not be enough with my daughter, I wish you could stay with us forever bacche." Aarohi laughed at their sulking expressions. "I'm not going anywhere yet." I won't be going anywhere at all if I have anything to do about it. "I am still here with you right now, and even when I do get married and leave, what makes you think I'll forget you all? I honestly think it will be Aryan begging for my attention because all of it will be with you guys." "Yeah, yeah butter us up," said Aadhira, but she was smiling. The trio gave her a bear hug, making her laugh. Aryan strode over, feeling jealous at the unabashed attention his soon-to-be fiancée gave to those she considered her family. His mother, one of her elbows already linked with his father, walked up to him and linked her elbow with him, too, dragging the three of them over to Aarohi. Anu had extricated her daughter from the bear hug and was kissing her on the forehead.

"I'm so happy that our children are getting engaged in a week. But since it's such less time, we should start planning today." Aryan let go of his mother's arm and slipped his hand loosely around Aarohi's waist. Aarohi kept her hands clasped on her elbows to keep them from accidentally hitting his stomach. "I know you said a simple ceremony, Aarohi, but I'm not sure I agree. You see, I am also getting engaged, and I've dreamed about my engagement for so many years, I'll also have a few wishes that I want fulfilled. Hai na, Mom, Dad?" He looked at his parents with pure innocence on his face, while they only snorted in reply. Raj rolled his eyes and muttered under his breath while Sona replied, "Jhoote! Bhai you would run halfway across the country before Mom could even finish saying the word rishta, much less engagement. Bakwas mat karo, yaar." Aryan mock glared at Sona while everyone laughed at his silly antics. He turned towards Aarohi, and putting pressure on her waist, forced her to turn towards him, too. "The truth is, the world needs to know the woman who will be making Aryan Viaan Singhania her husband, and I won't compromise on that. So, it's up to you sweetheart, a grand wedding or a grand engagement?" That was a simple choice. She looked him dead in the eyes and replied, "Wedding." Because she wasn't going to let the wedding even happen. Aryan let out his full-blown charming smile, which no one had seen in years, and his mother teared up at the sight of her son showing emotion freely again. Sona sidled up to her brother, she was not backing down today. Who knew when she'd get such an opportunity again? "Bhai, aapne subhe subhe nashte mein romance novels khana shuru kiya hai kya? Achaanak yeh shayar jaise baatein kaha se laarahe hai aap?"

Raj joined her in teasing their older brother. "Arey Sona di, aapko pata nahi ki bhai kitna pappu hogaye hai mere behen ko dekh kar. Rishi aur Rhea ki shaadi mein inka nazar hi nahi hat raha tha. Aur jab maine Aaru ko apne behen kehkar introduce kiya, itna build up diya mujhe. Keh rahe the ki phone par itna bakwas karta hun, lekin iss ladki ke baare mein kyun nahi bataya. Aur uper se woh Aaru ko mila, chup chup se baatein kar raha tha, aur hum mein kisiko andaaza bi nahi tha." "First of all Sona, I've always had a way with words, just never a proper muse to bring out my talents. Second Raj, it's my private life, and you were hardly with me 24/7 to be able to notice anything. You were in another country. And lastly, let me make it clear to everyone that while Aarohi might have friend-zoned me for the past few months, I never felt the same. I've finally convinced her to marry me, and I intend to celebrate that fully." That led to more whistles and cheers before the preparations for the engagement were discussed, and the groom's party eventually left for their homes.