006

Qiang Xin Yi was finally free from her captors, but contrary to her expectations, the prince didn't extend a helping hand to aid her in rising. Instead, he held her gaze for a moment, causing her to feel uneasy under the intensity of his stare. 

His voice carried a hint of mockery as he addressed her, "A damsel in distress, huh, seeking justice? How amusing." His words pierced through her like a sharp blade.

Qiang Xin Yi felt a sharp pain from his words, but she hid her true feelings, pretending to be helpless. "Your Highness, without your help, Meimei wouldn't have been saved. These wicked men have been terrorizing innocent people and causing chaos in the region," she begged, hoping her words would finally stir a reaction from the prince.

Li Yi Cheng let out a mocking chuckle. "Innocent? I wonder..." he trailed off, "The chances of these bandits appearing in Xu Mountain are very slim. Real robbers wouldn't dare to strike here in broad daylight, especially since it's Xu Mountain, where Ji Meng Temple is located." 

Qiang Xin Yi felt a shiver down her spine upon hearing those words. She knew what the prince meant and feared that he might uncover the truth of what was really happening. 

"I helped you merely out of moral duty. If there were any other reasons..." 

Her heart sank as she realized that her attempts to manipulate the prince had failed. But before she could try another tactic, Li Yi Cheng turned to face her, his expression still emotionless. 

"I would just let you die here," he sinisterly declared before riding away on his steed, tailed by the Imperial Guards.

The prince's departure left Qiang Xin Yi kneeling there. If the real Chen Meng Mei was here, she would surely chase the Prince, but all Qiang Xin Yi felt right now was a relief because she knew well the danger he posed and what might happen if she angered him. 

After all, that man was the one who pushed the original Chen Meng Mei to her demise.

"Mistress," Dong'er called out to Qiang Xin Yi as she continued to watch the prince's trail, helping her stand up. Just then, the Fierce Tigers reappeared.

"You...you still have the nerve to appear here!" Dong'er stammered, trying to appear brave but failing as she hid behind her lady. Biāo Jié then spoke in a no longer aggressive tone, "Hey, we already did what you wanted us to do. So now it's time to pay us off!"

Confused, Dong'er looked at her mistress, who had an embarrassing expression. "Mistress, what does it mean?"

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. You're aware of the agreement we had—to act like bandits and go after you, so the Sixth Prince would notice and spend time with you," He confessed. 

Dong'er was shocked and covered her mouth, wide-eyed. "Mistress, I promise not to tell anyone about this." 

Qiang Xin Yi awkwardly laughed at being exposed. In her thoughts, she said, "Chen Meng Mei... Chen Meng Mei, you're truly a villain full of schemes."