Blondes Just Wanna Do Stupid Shit

Good thing Elizabeth had remembered from which of all the identical houses on the street the young boy, whom they had spoken to previously, had come out of.  By the time they had made it back to the neighbourhood, it was already dark outside. The porchlight harshly illuminated the trio's faces as the Doctor rang the doorbell. 

"Hi!" The three of them said in unison with cheesy smiles plastered on their faces. 

"Who are you, then?" The man who'd opened the door frowned at the trio suspiciously. The Doctor took a quick peek behind the man, profiling his house.

"Let's see then, judging by the look of you, family man, nice house, decent wage, fought in the war, therefore, I represent Queen and country!" He pulled out the psychic paper out of his jacket pocket. "Just doing a little check of Her Majesty's forthcoming subjects for the great day. Don't mind if I come in? Nah, didn't think you did, thank you!" Before the man could protest, the Doctor barged right past him and headed for the living room. Rose and Elizabeth followed close behind. Elizabeth noticed the young boy joining them and smiled at him reassuringly as well as at his mother, who stood in the corner of the room anxiously. 

The Doctor looked around the room, nodding in approval "Not bad, very nice! Very well kept! I'd like to congratulate you, Mrs...?"

"Connolly." The woman replied attentively. 

"Now then Rita, I can handle this. This gentleman's a proper representative! Don't mind the wife, she rattles on a bit." Elizabeth frowned at the comment, taking a seat on the arm of the sofa.

"Well, maybe she should rattle on a bit more." The father and son both looked shocked at the man's words. The Doctor continued, unfazed.

"I'm not convinced you're doing your patriotic duty. Nice flags. Why are they not flying?" He nodded his head towards the discarded Union flags on the armchair.

"There we are Rita, I told you, get them up, Queen and country!"

"I'm sorry." Rita immediately started apologizing and flinched at her husband's tone. Elizabeth couldn't stand him anymore and opened her mouth to say something but the Doctor interrupted her. 

"Hold on a minute." he silenced the couple, raising his hand to stop Rita.

"Like the gentleman says." Mister Connolly continued, but the Doctor interrupted him once again."

"Hold on a minute. You've got hands, Mister Connolly. Two big hands! Why is that your wife's job?"

"It's housework, innit?" He simply answered. 

"And that's a woman's job?" 

"Course it is!"

"Mister Connolly, what gender is the Queen?" The Doctor challenged the man who was growing more irritated by the second. 

"She's a female."

"And are you suggesting the Queen does the housework, Sir?" Elizabeth couldn't hold her tongue anymore as she spat out the last word and narrowed her eyes. She couldn't tell if the redness of the man's face indicated his rage at such accusations or if he simply was embarrassed by being challenged like this by a woman. Either way, she felt exhilarated by her sudden confidence. 

"No! Not at all!"

"Then get busy." The Doctor handed Mister Connolly the string of flags, giving him an insistent stare.

"Right, yes sir." He hurriedly started handing the flags, feigning enthusiasm. But no one in the room seemed fooled by his pathetic attempt.  "You'll be proud of us, sir! We'll have Union Jacks left, right and centre!"