Chapter One

Luxa

Luxa was riding on Aurora. The air was cold. Vikus rode beside her on Euripedies, his large, grey bat. She had been forced to go on some stupid diplomatic mission with him. To the Gnawer's land.

 It had been three years since her grandmother, Solovet had died and Vikus had a stroke from the stress. He was fine now. Platelet count was still quite a bit low, but the doctors could live with that. 

They landed in a cave where they were supposed to meet the Gnawer's diplomats. 

"Vikus. Something isn't right here..." She said.

"Yes. I have a bad feeling about this... A very bad feeling..." Just after he had finished, a rat lunged at Luxa. She fumbled for her sword but couldn't get it out of the sheath in time. The rat would be on her in seconds. 

Before she knew what had happened, the rat was dead at her feet. She turned around and saw Vikus, sword drawn and bloodied, smirking at her.

"You always have my back." She said with a smile.

"And mine?" Vikus asked.

"Always." 

More rats emerged, more bodies on the floor. Luxa and Vikus worked like machinery. One kills, one covers. Over and over and over and over and- 

Vikus' sword clattered to the ground as a particularly small rat swiped it out of his hand. Luxa killed the rat. She turned back to face Vikus and saw a very large rat with rusty red snarling at her. At first she didn't understand why the rat was so pleased. Then she saw him.

One of the rat's claws was sticking out of Vikus' chest. From the back, to the front, far too close to his heart for Luxa's comfort. 

She just stood there, waiting for the rat to do what she knew it would.

 The rat laughed and pulled it's claw out of Vikus' chest. Vikus gasped and fell to the ground. In seconds he was lying in a pool of his own blood, chest heaving as he desperately gasped for air. 

"I am she called Sandtooth, daughter of the the Bane. Good day to you." She said with a sinister grin. And with this, she scampered away into the darkness.