Chapter Five

"Ripred, I am really not in the mood for surprises right now." She said, tears streaming down her face.

"Pardon me, your majesty." Ripred replied with an eye roll, "What happened? Did you loose your tiara?"

"What's in the bag, Ripred?"

" Open it yourself." Ripred sid as he dropped the bag. The bag said ow. 

"Ripred, is that bag alive?!?" 

Suddenly the bag started squirming violently. Gregor crawled out of the bag slowly.

"Overlander!" Luxa ran over and helped him out of the bag and then gave him a long hug. 

"Luxa, what's wrong?" Gregor asked. 

"I- I found a new prophecy..." 

"I thought the Code of Claw was the last. Why did Vikus not mention this one?" Gregor asked with hurt in his voice.

"I don't think he knew about this one. It was sort of hidden." 

Ripred laughed and then left the room. 

"What do you mean hidden?" Gregor asked.

"Come here." Luxa guided Gregor over to the handprint and the area behind it. "Here."

"Ok. Ok, let's just walk through this prophecy line by line." Gregor siad, feeling overwhelmed. 

THE WARRIOR HAS BEEN GONE 

FOR A TIME THREE YEARS LONG

IF HE SHALL RETURN,

A GNAWER MUST TAKE HIM FROM HIS HOME

"Well, that part is pretty obvious. I've been gone three years and Ripred kidnapped me." Gregor said.

THE BANE, NOT REVIVED

HAS A CHILD ALIVE

"Wait, the Bane has kids?" Gregor asked, now confused. 

"Yes, a daughter." Luxa replied sadly. 

"Do you know that? Have you seen her?" 

"Yes. Far too much for my comfort. And I believe for the rest of the prophecy, she is referred to as the Bane." 

"Alright, next stanza."

A STAB THROUGH THE HEART

OF THE MOST ESSENTIAL PART

OF THE QUEEN'S MIND

THE BANE SHE MUST FIND

"I'm not sure about this part, Luxa." Gregor said.

"I am." Luxa said quietly.

"Well, what does it mean?" 

"Vikus." 

"Wait... Is- is he...?"

"To be honest, I do not know. He was taken to the hospital and I assume he is in surgery or a coffin.  We were going on a diplomatic mission and we were ambushed. We held the gnawers off for quite a bit, but then..." There were tears welling in Luxa's eyes.

"Luxa..." Gregor put his hand in hers. She gave it a gentle squeeze. "Do you want to keep going through this prophecy?"

"Yes please." She said faintly and held his hand in earnest. 

 THE WARRIOR COMES,

AS IT IS HIS DEED. 

BUT HIS IS PULLED BY SOMETHING ELSE,

FOR LOVE IS HIS CREED. 

"Ok, enough said about this one, we both understand it. " Said Gregor.

WARRIOR OR QUEEN,

ONE MUST DIE

OR ELSE-----

"I understand the meaning but not the end."

" I do not understand it either. It it scratched out, but why?" Asked Luxa. 

"That's weird. We should- oh. Nevermind."

"You were about to say ask Vikus, weren't you?" 

"Yeah... Sorry. Force of habit."

"Well, I... I think I should go check on him." 

"Luxa. I could come with you if you want." Gregor said, squeezing her hand.

"I would like that very much."

They walked to the hospital floor and Luxa took a deep breath as she prepared herself for what awaited her on the other side of those double doors.