Chapter Six

Vikus

The first thing Vikus felt was pain. At first he didn't remember why his chest hurt so much, but then it all came flooding back to him. Luxa. Oh God, Luxa. Was she okay? He couldn't even remember.

He opened his eyes and saw white. 

"I'm dead." He thought, "I am definitely dead."

As his vision focused, the ceiling of a hospital room came into view. He was very familiar with this particular setting. He had spent nearly a year in the hospital of Regalia's palace following a stroke. It had probably been the worst year of his life. 

He gathered enough willpower to lift his head. He was wearing his bath robe. Luxa had a sense of humor today, apparently. Or Howard did at least. He wasn't wearing a shirt under the robe. Instead, bandages covered allmost his entire chest. There was padding on the left side of his chest and the bandages went from there to his right side.  

He then scanned the room. It was empty other than himself, a chair, and a fake plant in the corner of the room. And it was all white. Vikus used to like the color white, now he just found it depressing. He associated it with death more than black. He associated Gregor with black. He associated Gregor with hope. 

"Isn't it funny," thought Vikus, "the only reason I associate black with Gregor is because of his armor. His stupid armor..." 

Vikus chuckled to himself as he remembered all the times he had argued with Solovet about Gregor. 

Solovet... 

Just as he was about to spiral down the path of 'what if I would have...', Howard entered the room. 

"Oh, Vikus! You're awake!" Howard said sounding surprised.

"It seems I am." Vikus said, wincing as he sat up a bit.

"Quite the nasty stab wound there, Vikus." 

"I suppose so. Luxa- is she okay?" 

"She's fine, medically speaking. But she's a bit shaken up."