Chapter Two

"Did... Did she just... Just say...?" Vikus attempted to speak between frantic breaths but Luxa stopped him. 

"Shh," she said as she knelt my him and held his hand. Tears welled in her eyes. "Save your breath." 

She couldn't loose him. He had been there for her throughout everything. He had held her seven-year-old self in his arms when her father and mother had been killed. Dried her tears when she cried. Cried with her in the sad times and laughed in the happy ones.

"We need to get you back to Regalia. Can you move?" She asked.

He clenched his teeth as he attempted to sit up. It just made him bleed more. He was going to bleed to death. She knew it. There was nothing she could do. But she would sooner kill herself than not try.

A short time and a lot of pain later, Vikus was lying eagle sprawled on Euripedies' back. Luxa mounted Euripedies and they took of with Aurora flying beside them. It wasn't a terribly long journey back to Regalia, but it took more time than Vikus had. Luxa ripped a piece of her dress off and used to go apply pressure to the wound. 

"That should give him some more time," she thought.  

"It. It won't - work..." Vikus said still gasping for air.

"What? Why?" 

"Low--- platelet count." 

Luxa stopped applying pressure. Vikus' short-cropped hair was matted and red from laying on his side in the cave. His eyes were squeezed shut with pain. 

Luxa took her bloodied hand and ran her fingers through his hair, fluffing it up a bit. She held his hand and noticed something strange. On Vikus' wrist was a bracelet made of letter beads in the pattern of "I Love You". She had made it for him when she was five. It was far too tight at the time, so she assumed he had thrown it away. But now, it fit him well. She turned over his wrist, and on the back of the bracelet was a clasp and a few metal links that extended the length. There was a date inscribed in the clasp but she couldn't read it. 

"You wear this?" Luxa asked with tears falling down her face. 

Vikus opened his eyes and sat up a bit to see what she meant. 

"Always."