A HELPFUL FATHER

Jeremiah Naomi; the name I had always used till my mother told me who my real father was. It was a struggle accepting the news. I haven't had a father figure in my life, so the news of who my real father is partly shocked me; I had lived my whole life without a father. I was verbally bullied at school because of that. "Look, there comes the fatherless Naomi." I would cry when I was alone, thinking of those words. Owen and Cecilia were the ones there to comfort me when they saw how I was getting bullied. It hurt so much knowing your father existed somewhere and didn't want to see you. I remember querying my mother quite a number of times about the whereabouts of Jeremiah and she would tell me it wasn't time for me to know yet. Now that I know my father isn't even Jeremiah puts my life back to square one. I have to search for a man who doesn't even know about my existence, a man I do not know if he is dead or alive. I only have a name and an old picture of him. I don't even know where to start from. If he knew about me, it would have been easier because they are chances he would also come looking for me.

Before I left my mother's house, I asked for Jeremiah's address, she asked why I needed it and I told her I needed to thank him for the everything he did and apologize for hating him now that I know he isn't my father. She gave me the address and I visited him the next morning. I stood at his doorstep, took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell. "Coming!" a feminine voice responded from inside. "God, God, God..." I whispered with my eyes closed as I stood by the door. The sound of the door opening made me open my eyes and to my surprise, I saw a young girl, probably fifteen, standing by the door half-opened, staring confusingly at me. "Who are you?" She asked.
"Is this Mr. Jeremiah's house?" I responded.

"Yes. Who's asking?"
"My name is Naomi; I am here to see him." I answered.
"Honey, who is it?" a male's voiced asked loudly from inside. I guessed it was him.

"There's a woman looking for you, she said her name is..." the young girl turned her face towards me to finish her speech, "Naomi." She fixed her gaze on me, it felt uncomfortable. "Have I seen you before? You look quite familiar." She said.

"Nah. I don't think we've met before." I replied.

As we talked, a man appeared behind her. "You can go. Tell your mom I will be with her shortly." He spoke to the girl who couldn't stop staring at me. I stood in awe, admiring how sturdy he looked at his age, for a moment I thought I was at the wrong Jeremiah's house. I expected him to look very old, older than my mother, but to my surprise he even looked younger. The girl left and he stood by the door, "How may I help you, young woman?" He asked.

"My name is Naomi and I am in search of Mr. Jeremiah." I replied.
"Well, here he is." He grinned.

"You don't recognize me, do you?" I asked.

"If I did, I wouldn't be asking who you are." He replied.

"Naomi, the daughter of Kate."

As I said that, his eyes brightened up, he took the glasses he was putting on off, "Naomi? You really are Naomi?" He asked. "Jesus Christ! How'd you find this place?"

"My mother gave me your address." I replied. I really hoped he would ask me to come in so we could sit because my legs were aching, I had spent quite some minutes walking, trying to locate his place, but instead, he insisted we talked outside. I asked why and he replied saying, "I am too old for my wife's trouble. Moreover, I don't want her interfering in a father and daughter conversation." I smiled sarcastically; little did he know I had known the truth already. We walked to where his car was parked in the yard. I told him I needed to sit; I couldn't dare stand throughout our conversation. He told me to give him a minute, he went to the back of the house to get two plastic chairs to sit on. I was irritated by the Christmas tree, fancily decorated, erected in his yard. We sat with our backs resting against the passenger's side of the car, it was almost impossible to see us from his doorstep. "Should I get you something to drink?" He asked.
"No, thanks. I am fine." I responded. There was silence for some seconds after I responded, I stared at him. "Looks like you didn't age at all," I broke the silence. He smiled as I said that. "How's your mother?" He asked.