KFC SURPRISE

Before I began my journey to the KFC shop, I called my mother to give her an update on what was going on. I felt very ecstatic talking about it. "You will not believe, ma, I am actually getting somewhere."
"Have you found where he is?" She asked.
"No. I only spoke to Jeremiah and he helped me a lot. He was so kind. I really wish he was my father. Such a generous and handsome man. Looking like he didn't age at all."

"I know, right? Such a good man."

"He told me about his sister."

"Sarah?"

"You know her?"
"Yes, I do. I forgot to mention her."
"Why didn't you go and meet her and ask about Nathaniel?" I asked.

"When Jeremiah told me about her, I was too old to search for her. My illness had started and I couldn't walk around with a walking stick in search of her. Now you can." She responded.
"Well, I am headed her way already. I think I'll stop by the store to get water; the sun is drying me out. I had a hard time locating your lover's home." I said. It was past twelve in the afternoon, the sun indeed was out, burning with fierce anger like it was the end of the world. I was having a headache, I felt dizzy, I could collapse, I had to stop, I had been walking all morning in search of Jeremiah's house.
"I apologize for all the stress you are going through, my dear." Her voice became tender and soft. She began coughing.
"You don't have to apologize. Just take care of yourself. I have to go now; I am at the store already. Talk to you later. Love you ma." I hung up. I wasn't feeling myself; the headache was taking over me. When I got into the store, I headed straight to the part where the bottled water was kept, took one from the shelf, sat on the floor right there with my back resting against the shelf, rummaged my bag for the pills of paracetamol I had always kept in my bag in cases of emergencies like this, threw three pills in my mouth, opened the water and drank almost everything in the bottle. I dared not move for some seconds, I just had to sit right there for a while. I didn't even notice the cashier by the table when I walked, nor the light and decorations, all I wanted was water at that moment. I wondered what kind of sun shone in winter season, the snow must have slept off and forgotten it's winter already. As I sat on the floor, a woman came walking towards me, I noticed her and I couldn't even summon the energy to get up and pretend everything was fine. She stood beside me and asked, "Are you alright, young lady?"

I shook my head to say yes, but I didn't utter a word. I didn't even look at her.

"Are you sure everything's fine? I saw the way you rushed into the store and I could also see you on the monitor, taking pills. What's wrong?" She leaped beside me.

I turned my head towards her to glance at her face, seeing the name tag on her blouse, I sensed she was the cashier. I gathered the energy to smile and say to her "Thanks for your concern, ma'am. I had a headache but now I am fine."

"Sorry for the headache, the sun's a bit harsh today. It's quite a bizarre day in the city today. A very sunny day in the winter season."
"It definitely is." I stood upright from the floor and dusted my buttocks for any dirt that might have stuck to my jeans. "I am fine now. The headache is subdued."

She stood upright and smiled at me. "I am glad you are."
"I want to get other things. Thanks for your concern." I smiled and walked away from her presence. I didn't turn back to look at her. I took some biscuits and chocolates, I felt very hungry, though I did have eggs and tea for breakfast, it didn't seem enough. I walked back to the bottled water session, thankfully, the woman had left there. I found the bottled water I took earlier lying on the floor, I picked it up and took two more bottles from the shelf. I went over to the table to pay for the things I took, the woman gazed at me for a while, I dropped the things I took on the table before her. "I took a bottle of water before, please add that to my bill." I said to her.
"No problem." She began scanning the items. For the first time, I noticed the decorations in the store; the Christmas light hung on the wall, the Santa doll by the table, everything red and white. "Useless." I whispered.