HELPING MY FATHER

We left the prison at dusk; the sun was setting in and the day was getting dark. The journey was filled with silence. "Are we going back home this late?" Sarah broke the silence.

I raised my head from Owen's shoulder and looked outside the window. "It's true, we can't return home this late." I said.

"What are we to do then?" Owen asked.

"Probably stop by a motel to spend the night there." Cecilia replied.

"That sounds great." My mother said.

"Take the next turn you see on your right; there's a motel down the road there." Sarah stated.

"Okay." Cecilia responded.

Minutes later, we took the turn Sarah spoke about and found a motel. It was past seven p.m.; the day was dark already. Christmas lights decorated the exterior of the building. We all alighted from the car after Cecilia parked and walked straight into the motel. Cecilia supported mother as she walked, I walked with Owen with my arms folded together to my body and my head resting on his shoulder, Sarah led the way. We got inside and Sarah conversed with the receptionist there. "Three rooms should be enough." Sarah said. Owen made the payment and collected the keys. We walked to the rooms of the keys we collected. Sarah and Cecilia lodged in one, I and my mother took the next room, Owen lodged in the last room. Everyone went in after bidding each other good night. I and my mother didn't speak about the prison visit; it felt like we were both scared to bring up the topic. She laid on the bed after using the bathroom, I sat on the chair with my arms folded to my body.

After about an hour of trying to find some sleep and being unable to, I decided to go outside for some cold breeze at the balcony. I met Owen at the balcony with a bottle of beer in his hand. "Couldn't sleep?" I asked.

"Too early to sleep rather." He replied, smiling.

"Mind if I share that with you?" I pointed to the drink in his hand as I stood beside him. Owen glanced at me with surprise.

"Give me the damn thing, idiot." I grabbed the bottle from his hand. He laughed softly.

"Is something bothering you?" He asked, seeing the way I drank the beer.

"I really needed that." I responded after downing the bottle. "I couldn't stop thinking about the visit."

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked.

"It was a lot to take, Owen. I thought I had myself prepared for the worst, I guess I was wrong." I replied. Cecilia came out of her room with her phone in her hand as I spoke. "What are you both doing outside?"

"I couldn't sleep." I replied.

"What are you doing outside?" Owen asked.

"I came out to reply my husband. We are having this heated argument about not returning home. I think this marriage isn't working again." Cecilia replied, walking towards us.

"You should have seen it coming. You shouldn't have put your marriage at risk because of me." I said.

"You aren't the problem, girl. It's always been like that." She replied. Everyone became silent. I passed the bottle back to Owen. "Is everything alright? Why are you sharing a bottle with him?" Cecilia asked.

I sighed. "Seeing him in cuffs was horrific." I sighed again. "I saw a little girl asking her father why his hands were not free and I wished I could explain the reason to her but I was in a similar state; my father was handcuffed too. I felt so sorry for him and myself."

"I feel sorry for you too." Cecilia remarked.

"He sounded like a good man." I said.

"Did he say why he was in prison?" Owen asked.