A FRIENDLY GANGSTER

Four days to Christmas and my present wasn't ready, I hated the fact I had to get Christmas present for someone, especially my mother, but since the present wasn't just for her but also for me too, I had no choice but to get it. It was past six in the evening when Owen parked in front of my house, he had called earlier about his arrival. Cecilia was seated beside him. I got into the car and Owen kickstarted the car to begin the journey. On the way there, we talked different things: about the rate of crime in the state, about Amelia and Owen, about my single life, but the major talking point was about Cecilia's marriage. Cecilia spoke about getting a divorce because she wasn't enjoying the marriage. "More reasons you shouldn't fall in love with the wrong person." I commented.

"You can never tell, Naomi. It's always a bed of roses when you are still in the dating zone, once it becomes marriage, you'd see that the roses are just thorns in disguise." Cecilia responded. "We dated for four good years, guys. And I enjoyed every single bit of those years, that was why I agreed to marry him. Two years into the marriage and he's already acting like a monster I have never seen."

"You are one strong woman. If it was me in your shoes, I'd be seeing the therapist every day." We all laughed after I said that.

"But I don't think getting a divorce is the best solution." Owen stated. "I just think it's one of those rough times you both are going through. Your 'for better for worse' just came quite early."

"What should she do? Keep living like that hoping he one day changes?" I asked.

"He doesn't beat you, does he?" Owen asked Cecilia.

"The emotional abuse she goes through is enough reason to leave him, Owen." I replied.

"Are you then directly asking her to divorce him?" He asked.

"I am directly saying she deserves someone better." I responded.

"What would you know about having someone seeing you haven't dated anyone in years." Owen said.

"I am single and happy. No man is controlling my life and I am not eyeing someone else while claiming I have a fiancé like you." I retorted. Cecilia remained silent.

"That's harsh, Naomi. You are sounding so mean." Owen replied.

"I am only being factual." I said.

"Enough of this talk. Let us please concentrate on the journey." Cecilia interrupted our conversation. "Who's going to approach this man? Are we all going to talk to him?"

"I'll do the talking. You both just remain in the car." I replied.

"You could have just come alone if you knew you could handle it yourself." Owen said. "We'll both go and talk to him. Cecilia will stay in the car in case anything goes wrong and we have to run for our lives, she'd be our getaway driver."

"Nice idea. I don't have to see the guns and tattoos." Cecilia responded.

We got to the place but parked far from the man's apartment, I and Owen got down from the car and walked to his apartment, leaving Cecilia in the car as we had agreed. We got to his doorstep and Owen knocked. We didn't hear anything so Owen knocked harder. "Who's it?" The man asked from inside.

"Hi, sir. We come in peace. We are here in search of someone." I answered.

The man opened the door half-open and stuck out his head to see us. "Who are you?" He asked.

"My name is Owen and this is Naomi." Owen responded.

"I don't give a damn about your names, who the hell are you guys?!" He asked loudly.