January 2024 | »The Gauntlet« by @words_are_weapons

It is very exciting to have  words_are_weapons with us to feature their book »The Gauntlet« as our next book of the month! Underneath you can find the next interview where we talked about the author and their story!

AUTHOR BIO

❝ Jamie Harris is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. He has a Masters Degree in Writing Practice and Study from Dundee University, and currently works for Edinburgh-based publishing company, Birlinn. He loves all things sci-fi, and is a huge fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age and anything else published by BioWare. In his free time he enjoys pizza, good beer, music, video games and classic Scooby-Doo cartoons. ❞

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

PREMISE

❝ Codi James is a chronic underachiever. A straight C student, her life is going nowhere. Causing havoc at yet another school it looks like she's heading for another expulsion, until one teacher decides to call in a favour from an old friend. Codi is sent to the one place where her aggression might do her some good.

Joining the underdeveloped Brax-Delta training academy, Codi is set on the long, bruising path to compete as a champion in the Gauntlet Tournament. Thrown together with a team of other misfits and under the tutorage of a frustrated veteran, she has one chance left to prove that she's more than just a struggling orphan.

Never underestimate a desperate person. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

TEASER SCENE

❝ Deep breaths weren't going to be enough to calm the nerves she felt now. Standing with the nineteen others in her Mayhem, Codi looked at the floor, trying to keep her concentration before the fighting started. Vasco had done all he could in the last two days, but now the time for talk and practice was finally over. With a long breath she forced herself to look up at the doors, past the forms of her competition. Above the door a counter descended.

"You feeling alright?" asked a boy to her right. Codi turned slowly and found herself looking into the mischievous eyes of the fighter who'd spoken to her in the lobby. His exoskeleton was largely black in colour, with two white stripes running down each arm. He grinned.

"I'm fine," she grated, looking back to the door.

He leaned in closer, speaking conspiratorially. "Rumour has it we're going to be doing a lot of climbing."