March 2024 | »Venture to Uncertainty« by @tarishannon18

It is very exciting to have tarishannon18 with us to feature their book »Venture to Uncertainty« as our next book of the month! Underneath you can find the next interview where we talked about the author and their story!

AUTHOR BIO

❝ I'm Tari, a university student in my last year of a chemistry degree. I've always had a love of science and numbers, but I came to adore writing just as much in my teens. My brand is to cram as many mind games and metaphors as possible into an action-packed story usually centred around morality. I'm honoured to be featured on the action profile this month! 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

PREMISE

❝ As part of his plan to rid the ocean of a tyrant leader, Archer hitches a ride on the Avourienne, a notorious pirate ship whose ruthless captain turns out to be the least of his problems. Against his will, Archer finds himself in the crosshairs of the ship's cunning strategist, an infamous combatant whose physical skills dull in comparison with her talent for a mind game. As he struggles to hide his motives, his once-ridged morality starts to crumble under the pressure of the violence that now surrounds him. When his plan is suddenly torn to shreds and all certainty is lost, he becomes more and more convincing in his role as the bloodthirsty pirate. With one final act of the deepest betrayal possible, Archer realizes he might very well have become the villain in his own story. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

TEASER SCENE

❝ More shouts sounded from the street as she finally started to sprint across the rooftop. When she came to the end of one building, she took the seven-foot gap like it was nothing but a few inches. She landed hard and rolled, back on her feet in seconds. Archer lost his nerve the moment he came up to it, tripping a little as he came to a quick stop. He looked across the gap at her, putting even more distance between them.

Heart racing, he backed up again. Gathered his nerve. He could make it; it was just confidence, that's all. Confidence, surety, come on, Kingsley. Just jump.

And he did, but he lost his balance when he landed and crashed onto the shingles with no proper rolling technique. He stumbled back to his feet again, trying to catch up with her, already past the next gap. He caught up quickly—he was the better runner. Point Archer.

"You see that Kingsley?" Silta shouted over her shoulder. She pointed to port, where the Avourienne was pulling around the side of the docks, uncast and ready to catch them on the horizontal. "Run like hell, Minnow. It'll be fun."

Oh, it was so ridiculous. Dodging bullets along rooftops, seeking safety from the most dangerous ship in the sea. Adrenaline or not, this irony was not lost on him. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

INTERVIEW

1. How did you start writing on Wattpad?

 Like many people, I owe a lot to my sister, who showed me Wattpad when I was younger. I started with reading, but my sister was so into writing that I decided to try it out too! I was pretty bad at first, but practice conquers all, in my opinion. 

2. What was the inspiration for your book »Venture to Uncertainty«? If you could describe your story in only three words, what would they be?

❝ I've always gravitated toward stories about morality, but I've never been totally satisfied with the conclusions other authors made. After all my years of dissonance, it was finally time for me to write my own. Therefore, each aspect of Venture to Uncertainty was decided on for a reason. For example, I picked pirates because they allowed for a discussion of right/wrong and whether or not people are inherently evil. I picked an alternate reality of a historic Caribbean timeline so I could work with limited technology while still maintaining an aspect of reality, and I crammed all my characters onto a ship out on the water to maximize the tension and the mind games, while also allowing them to go into port for an adventure to keep everyone on their toes. If I could describe the story in three words, they'd be the main focuses of each book: uncertainty, chaos and freedom. 

3. Which details or scenes in »Venture to Uncertainty« are most unique and interesting to you?

 My favourite part of Venture to Uncertainty is how physics and logic are entwined with the action. I wanted the fights and movements to be realistic, so I spent a lot of time and research concocting how to use science as a weapon in hand-to-hand combat. I also put tons of work into the mind games, making them as complex and wild as possible. I like how both those aspects turned out, and I think the strategic feel makes my story unique! 

4. If you were a character in your story, which one would you be and why?

❝ Well, that's easy, because one of my characters is me, or at least, a version of me. I joined the army in my real life many years ago, and at first, I was a lot weaker than the other soldiers, all men, of course. After I sustained a bad injury, I was struggling greatly not to quit—so I made up Silta, a much cooler, much more cunning version of me that I could embody when I was in pain. Silta is crafty and creative, so powerful in those aspects that she refuses to succumb to a natural disadvantage. She got me through my hard times, so I figured everyone else deserved to meet her, too. 

5. Do you intend to write another book in the future? What advice would you give to other writers who wish to try writing as well?

❝ I intend to never stop making books in the future. Writing is my escape, both my relaxation and what riles me up. My advice to anyone thinking about writing would be to put pen to paper—or fingers to keyboard—and just start something. Like most anything, first projects are a taste of what we're capable of once we hone our skills. I keep my old writing projects just to remind myself how far I've come, and how everything starts somewhere. 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

And we end our amazing interview with tarishannon18 here. Thank you for being with us this March. We all hope you all got to know the author like us and discovered some unique details about the story, »Venture to Uncertainty«. We will see you next month with another amazing story.