April 2024 | »A Pirate's Tale« by @joymoment

It is very exciting to have joymoment with us to feature their book »A Pirate's Tale« as our next book of the month! Underneath you can find the next interview where we talked about the author and their story!

AUTHOR BIO

Joy came late to the reading game, due to vision problems. She holds a strong love for Young Adult since it's where her love of reading began. Now she writes Teen Fiction hoping to inspire the next generation. When she isn't creating, Joy can be found buried in a book, absorbing the Southern California sunshine, or discussing the global impact of the Korean band BTS.

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

PREMISE

❝ Born to the captain of a pirate ship, Isla has spent her whole life at sea, learning all that it takes to survive. When her father is killed in a storm, she is forced to step into his role as captain and inherits her father's outstanding debt to Lord Sutherland: the task of stealing the rare Serpent's Eye emerald. 

After months of failure to locate the emerald, Isla is forced to take extreme measures: she kidnaps Duke Raif Sayers, who knows of the emerald's location. But Raif proves to be more strong willed and stubborn than Isla expected. Matters become even more complicated when Raif's father offers a large reward for his son's rescue and suddenly every cutthroat is looking for Raif and the pirate who kidnapped him. 

As Isla and her crew are pushed to their limits and race against their deadline, Isla has to face that the one decision she thought would save her crew could be the very thing that destroys them.  

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

TEASER SCENE

❝ "Wake him," Isla said. 

Brockton grabbed a bucket from beside the door and stepped forward. In one easy motion, he flung the water over the Duke. He woke with a shock, spewing a string of words in another language Isla guessed were not polite. He shook his head, spraying them with droplets of icy water. 

Noticing how his shirt clung to his chest and arms, Isla was certain having him chained had been a wise decision. Duke Sayers glanced around the room when his eyes landed on Isla a playful smirk curled his lips. Still dripping water, he sank back against the wall, as if not even noticing his freedom was not his own. 

"You were not a dream then," he said. His voice was like a dark melody, enchanting and mysterious. 

Isla's expression stayed indifferent. 

"I'm Captain Zev," she said. 

His eyebrow rose at the title, as something like recognition flickered in his eyes. Pushing away his surprise, he ducked his head. 

"I'm Raif, it is a pleasure, Captain." He rested his head back. "What is it that you find locking me up is necessary for?" 

His complete lack of indignation and even annoyance at being locked away startled Isla, but she kept her features from betraying this. 

"You are going to get me what I want," she said, her voice calm. "Or I will kill you." 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

INTERVIEW

1. How did you start writing on Wattpad?

My sister, Grace and I wrote our first books in text messages to each other on our phones. Surprisingly enough when we finished our books they were longer than we ever imagined they'd be. Grace had discovered Wattpad in 2011 when she needed a place for free books. Years later in 2016, she remembered Wattpad and it was decided! We would put our rookie novels on Wattpad. And as the saying goes the rest is history.

2. What was the inspiration for your book »A Pirate's Tale«? If you could describe your story in only three words, what would they be?

The main love interest: Raif, was actually a side character in my previous book, A Vagabond's Tale. My sister Grace loved him so much that she told me to write a story where she and Raif get together. Naturally, that made me wonder what type of girl would attract the rascal that is Raif. And it turns out that girl is Isla, a pirate. Since I don't tend to write from a male's POV, that meant the story would be about Isla. 

My three words to describe it: family, adventure, loss. 

3. Which details or scenes in »A Pirate's Tale« are most unique and interesting to you?

The fight scenes. I've written modern action scenes but writing about how a pirate would fight was so much more interesting to me. I needed to take in the setting, how a bridge over water would offer escape if need be, how that railing to the bridge could be used for defense. Stepping into how a pirate would fight opened my mind to a new way of describing an action scene.

4. If you were a character in your story, which one would you be and why?

❝ Hawk. He's composed, loving, fierce, and all around someone I think most people would want to be if they were a pirate. 

5. Do you intend to write another book in the future? What advice would you give to other writers who wish to try writing as well?

❝ I plan to write a million more books in the future! An impossible feat but one that I can at least strive towards. I have too many story ideas and too little time. 

My advice is this: WRITE! Get into it and just write! Yes, it's not going to be good, no one's first draft ever is, but you learn so much by getting into writing than you will by reading books about writing. So write, write, write! Don't look back, don't over analyze (you get too much in your head if you do that) just keep putting words on the page. Trust me, you will grow as you go! 

💥 💥 💥 💥 💥

And we end our amazing interview with joymoment here. Thank you for being with us this April. We all hope you all got to know the author like us and discovered some unique details about the story, »A Pirate's Tale«. We will see you next month with another amazing story.