Chapter 1: Work

An alarm flashed on Penny's visor. It was six o'clock in the morning. She slapped her face to turn it off and sat up. Ember was already up and getting ready. Penny rolled back over.

"Come on sis. You don't want to be late again." Ember said. Penny mumbled and put a pillow on top of her head. Suddenly, the pillow flew off her and into the floor. Penny looked at Ember and saw a symbol on the front of her hand. It looked sort of like a triangle with a hexagon in the middle.

"Stop using that solver thingy. It freaks me out." Penny said frozen. Ember laughed.

"They didn't give me these powers for no reason. Might as well put them to use." Ember joked.

"Now get up or I'll throw you across the room." Penny rolled her eyes and got up. The siblings both got ready and packed their bags for the day. Ember put on a name tag that said 020: Ember Jackson. They left the room and saw Theo standing there, waiting for Penny.

"Wow, you're not late this time. Impressive." Theo chuckled. Penny rolled her eyes.

"Let's just get to the mines. I got something to show you." Penny said. Penny grabbed Theo by the hand and they ran off.

"Don't get in trouble with one of your little plans!" Ember yelled.

"I won't!" Penny yelled back. They ran out of the base and towards their jobs. Worker drones over thirteen years old start working in the silver mines for the rest of their lives. Some drones are an exception though, like Ember. They're part of a special experiment. Barely any drone outside of the project knows much about it, but Penny has a plan in mind.

The two drones ran over to the mine. There was a line in front of it consisting of the other worker drones. Each mine was split into age groups. This one was for all the teens. They were all chatting about the latest gossip, pointing fingers and laughing. Penny and Theo usually ignored the drama, since most of it was just about couples or exes. They got out their pickaxes their backpacks. They both had decorated their's with stickers around the handle. They had gotten in trouble for it before, but the humans stopped caring. Just in a couple of minutes, groups drones piled up behind them. They all stood up straight, waiting to get to work.

"So what did you want to show me?" Theo whispered to Penny.

"I made a plan that could help me figure out the murder of my parents!" Penny said. Theo rolled his eyes.

"It's been ten years and we haven't found anything. If we get caught sneaking out again, we'll be in big trouble."

"Oh come on! I have a good feeling about this one. Plus I've been working on it for a really long time!" Theo sighed.

"I'll give it a chance. But if we get caught, no more plans." Theo held out his hand.

"Do we have a deal?" Penny shook his hand with a massive grin.

"Attention!" A voice yelled, startling everyone. The drones faced the front with their chests out and swung their pickaxes over their shoulders. Penny and Theo thought it looked stupid and always chuckled. Standing in front of the group was Sage.

"Ya'll get the drill. Go get us some good silver!" Sage said as he took out a lawn chair. He plopped himself into it and then turned his head over to Penny and Theo.

"And no shenanigans. We are already behind on schedule." The two drones nodded as everyone started walking into the mine. Their feet made crunching sounds with every step. Every conversation echoed through the darkness. Penny and Theo got to where they left off. A pile of stone and dirt stood in front of them. Theo got out a lantern and a bucket from his backpack and placed it on the ground. They both started to mine.