16. Bruised, Not Broken

TRIGGER WARNING: bullying

"Remember, Hyungie, nothing too crazy, okay?"

Seokjin nodded in response to Jeongguk's words as he pulled into the parking lot of Jeongguk's university. He parked the car and unlocked the doors, before he and Jeongguk exited the vehicle. Many of the students walking around the courtyard averted their gazes to the couple, shocked to see Jeongguk with someone who wasn't Jimin, Hoseok, or Taehyung. A handsome someone, at that.

But Jeongguk wasn't thinking about that. He was nervous and worried. Scared, too. He was not looking forward to seeing Hyunjin's familiar, taunting smirk today and having his mood instantly ruined. He's anxious, as he doesn't know what might happen if Seokjin and Hyunjin meet. He doesn't want things to get violent between them; he doesn't want Seokjin to get hurt. That was the whole point of him keeping quiet about the last three years of abuse he's put up with. If one of his loved ones were to get hurt just because of his drama, his brain will automatically blame himself, and he'll curse himself and wonder why he couldn't just put up with it for a little longer. But at the same time, he needs this. He wants this. An end to his suffering, so that he can move on from this horrible period of his life.

Seokjin could sense Jeongguk's spike in negative emotions. It was a flurry of heavy negativity that hit Seokjin in an instant, and he was immediately worried.

He was quickly by Jeongguk's side, pulling the younger closer by the hips and holding him close. "Hey, baby, calm down. It'll be okay. As long as I'm here, I won't let him lay a hand on you, okay? Please don't worry too much, I don't like to see you cry," he whispered.

Jeongguk gasped quietly as Seokjin wiped his tears with a delicate touch. He hadn't even realized that he was crying. He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply, resting his head on Seokjin's chest and listening to the older's calming heartbeat. He wrapped his arms around Seokjin, his slightly trembling hands quick to fist the material of Seokjin's shirt. After a few minutes of standing there, with Seokjin running his fingers through Jeongguk's soft hair, the latter pulled away with a quiet sniffle and mustered up a small smile.

He felt a small spark of determination within his heart as he looked into Seokjin's eyes. He can do this. They can do this. This is his life, and he wants to be able to live it freely. He wants to be able to attend his classes and be excited for another day without the fear of getting physically assaulted. He wants to be able to go to work without the fear of verbal assault. He has a dream and he wants to follow it and leave all of this hardship in the past. He wants to focus on himself and the people that matter to him and care about him. He wants to be strong and reclaim his life.

And speak of the devil (quite literally, if you ask Jeongguk). Hwang Hyunjin just pulled into a parking spot only a few vehicles away from them. The man stepped out of his car with his usual smug grin as he ran a hand through his long, blond hair. He shot a few winks at a couple of women as he did so.

But he stopped everything when he looked to his left and locked eyes with Jeongguk. He raised an intimidating eyebrow as he eyed Seokjin, who grew confused under Hyunjin's heavy stare.

"Hyung," Jeongguk whispered in a panic as he tugged on Seokjin's shirt. "That's Hyunjin."

Seokjin's expression shifted so quickly that it truly did startle the bunny. Jeongguk quickly reached down to tightly grasp Seokjin's hand and followed the older as he slowly stepped onto the pavement in front of them. Jeongguk held his breath as he watched Hyunjin approach them, stopping a few feet away and stuffing his hands in the front pockets of his black skinny jeans. Seokjin was sending the man a death glare, and just one look at his boyfriend sent a shiver down Jeongguk's spine. He looked ready to kill, but Jeongguk knew nothing of the sort would happen. Seokjin promised.