004. best friend

season 1 episode 3

AURORA WAS outside with cole, isaac, and parker playing football

AURORA WAS outside with cole, isaac, and parker playing football. well, at least the two boys and parker were playing football, rory was watching from the side with lee. cole was helping his sister practice for her football game coming up, making her run drills and practice possible situations.

watching cole with parker make rory smile. he always was so good with kids, well i mean he is one of the oldest siblings so.

lee got up from the fence and started with his great commentary about isaac and parker. "ohh, and that's an interception. isaac, she's nine." cole said, trying to get his cousin to ease up a bit. "let's go." parker said as isaac threw the ball back.

"hey! good hustle out there, but time to hit the showers, alright?" george yelled from the front porch. the two garcia boys immediately ran in the house leaving cole, parker, and aurora together. cole ran up to his sister, aurora close behind so she wouldn't be alone. "that's not the game face we practiced." cole said as he got closer to her. "it's my first time playing offence. what if i mess up and we lose?" parker said, hanging her head low with her voiced laced in worry.

cole crouched in front of the young girl giving her a long pep talk. "parker, you're gonna do amazing, i promise. and like cole said, we'll be up in the stands cheering you on the whole time." aurora swore, sticking out her pinky for a pinky promise, interlocking pinkies with the young girl. parker smiled, running up the porch and into her house.

cole grunted, struggling to stand up from his position. "come on, grandpa." aurora spoke while stretching out her hand for him to grab. "cole, you do know your crossed your heart saying you'd be at her game right?" rory said as the two started walking towards their house. he sighed, dropping his head, "shit." he muttered under his breath. "yeah, i know. i'm gonna try to make it ro, i just don't know if i can. i would never want to hurt her, but it's just too hard." his voice breaking at the end. "i know you would never want to hurt her, but you crossed your heart and promised to be there. if you don't show up, it's gonna break her heart, cole." aurora also sounded upset, but she just put her arm over his shoulder as they walked.

the two parted ways as they walked inside. cole immediately going upstairs and rory staying downstairs where her sister was.

"what does slashing and burning mean?" rory heard jackie ask from the island. "it means we set a fire to kill the pests." lee said.

isabel sat down next to isaac at the island. "hey isa, finally coming out of your room, huh?" isaac teased poking her side. "missed me so much huh?." she teased back. "come on. guys, we gotta go! okay?" george yelled, interrupting the twos conversation.

rory ran upstairs before anyone could say anything. she seen cole looking at his photo he framed from his football season. "hey, you okay?" she asked quietly. "yeah. yeah, i'm good, we should get going." cole said quickly putting away the boxes and grabbing her hand, running downstairs.

_______

"okay people, this is a judgement free zone. there are no stupid ideas." erin paces around the room as she talks. "we need to come up with something we can do to raise money for the auditorium renovations that we can organize in the next 24 hours because the t-shirts we were planning on selling still haven't arrived." erin rambles on as she continues walking.

"what about a silent auction?" jackie speaks up, looking around the room. "we could ask local businesses to make donations. in new york, people always bid way more than those items are worth." she finishes, smiling looking at everyone.

in case you haven't noticed, preppy longstocking, you're a long way from new york. we dont have the time or manpower to throw something together before tomorrow." erin attempts to shut jackie down, before getting interrupted by olivia. "but a silent auction does call for tons of community involvement and interaction." olivia backs jackie up, still grateful she didn't tell erin about her night with cole.

"i could talk to my dad about getting his businesses to participate." skylar buts in. "fine. show of hands, who's for the auction?" erin says in an annoyed manner, hoping no one would want to do it. everyone in the room raises their hands. after a long, yet entertaining meeting, the bell rings having everyone rush to class.

"hey cole, what's up." rory says cheerfully running up to the boy. "hey, ro. nothing really, same thing everyday i guess." he shrugs, walking to their next class. "same, ugh i hate school. at least you're in like most of my classes this year." she turns to the side to face him. "yeah, god, last year was awful." he shakes his head laughing, rory does the same.

rory looks over at him once more before walking in class, making eye contact with him. "you know cole, your my best friend." she smiles before walking to her seat, leaving him standing alone in the door way. "yeah, best friend." he mumbled, before sitting in his seat.

he's always known they were best friends, but he's secretly always wished it was more. the two have been best friends since forever, but he always thought of her as more than just his best friend. the boy loved her. though he used to be in denial that it was in more than a friends way, he finally came to terms with it, accepting it. he was in love with her. he decided that he would never act on these feelings, thinking that she would never feel the same. little did he know, she feels the same, but she just has a hard time realizing it.

________

"okay, skylar. uh, kiss, marry, kill." grace said, clearly not interested in the topic of student council. though it was a so called childish game, grace loved to play games like that, it kept her entertained. "okay jackie, your turn. kiss, marry, kill. cole, alex, isaac." the brunette girl said. cole? rory thought. why him, jackie doesn't like him, she likes alex, right?  she didn't know why, but she felt a hint of jealousy when she heard his name being mentioned, but then felt a wave of relief overcome her body when jackie didn't answer

"grace! why are you the way you are." skylar said, throwing a marker at her in the process. "maybe because my parents wont let me date and now you guys wont let me dream." she sighed, flopping down on the bed. "okay, fine. we can play again after you spend all day with alex." she smiled. "alex and i are just friends." jackie said very unconvincingly. "okay, well, what is love if not friendship on fire?" grace said.

"i've got your booby holder!" benny yelled running around the room. "benny! what the hell? give that back." aurora yelled back, chasing him out of jackie's room. benny ended up spilling paint on skylar's clothes. luckily nathan was there to help him get it clean.

benny ran around the whole upstairs with her bra on his head, somehow ending up in cole's room. she finally caught benny, grabbing it from him and hiding it behind her back. "benny! that is so not funny, and very embarrassing." aurora scolded shyly. the young boy just giggled and ran away. "he's great, isn't he?" cole said laughing at his younger brothers antics. "yeah, he is something, that's for sure." aurora said, her face still red with embarrassment.

the silence was loud, and she could feel his stare on her. she scanned his room, pretending not to notice his eyes on her, though she couldn't last long. her eyes ended up where he was laying on his bed fresh out of the shower, shirtless with wet hair. god he looked good "sorry to bother you so uh goodnight." she swayed her body side to side. "don't worry about it, you're never a bother ro, goodnight." he said smirking at her.

1,377 words

_______

authors note!

this is so rushed and short but i needed to post so here you go!
i just finished watching saltburn and all i can say is what the fuck was that?? like yeah jacob elordi is so hot but what?
anyways i hope u like it!!