Chapter 8 - Liar, Liar

''Where the hell were you?''

Maria's tone made me hold my breath.

She had used the word '' hell '' and that could only mean one thing : I was in big trouble. I didn't have time to make up some excuse about Kendrick yet. I smiled nervously and finally gathered up the courage to look up and let our eyes meet. She had her arms crossed and a killer expression on her face. I thanked god that I was wearing a jacket on top of my very revealing dress.

''Out." I babbled like an idiot.

''I won't ask again,'' She said severely ''Where were you?''

''I was at a friend's,'' I lied, though I knew apart from the gang and Kass, I had no friends #loser.

''It is past midnight. You expect me to believe you?'' She rolled her eyes, annoyed.

''We were studying and we didn't see the time fly,'' I tasted my own lies, feeling horrible for lying to her face.

She looked down, apparently reconsidering this whole thing. My excuse was a valid one, I guess.

After a while of silence, she took a deep breath and said...

''Next time, you call, got it ? I am the one in charge of you while your mom is on her trip and I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. I was worried sick, I thought a g...'' She stopped talking mid sentence, like she had almost said a forbidden word

''I thought something horrible happened to you,'' She said after a while.

G ? Like In gangs ? No G like in gorillas dumbass. So she does know a lot more than we think.

''Yes, I'm so sorry Mariah," I stepped closer and gave her a hug, hoping she wouldn't ask about Kendrick. I pulled away and started walking towards the stai...

''You don't happen to know where Kendrick is, do you?''

Dang it !

''Right, I forgot to tell you. Kendrick has.. '' Come on, Winter, think ''there's a person whose parent divorced and Kendrick is staying with her until she gets better because-''

''Wait, do you mean like-'' She cut me off, an excited smile on her face, ''Do you mean that my little boy has got a girlfriend?''

Wait, what? That's when I realized I had used the words ''she'' and ''her''.

''Yeah, a girlfriend, that's it, he wanted to tell you face to face but you know since he couldn't leave her alone during the divorce and everything,'' I lied my ass off. I swear Karma is going to hit me good sooner or later.

She looked so happy that Kendrick could actually have a girlfriend.

''I would love to meet her,'' She exclaimed, excited.

''Yeah, well, that's going to have to wait since, she's going through a rough time right now, divorced parents and all, you know?'' I tried to make it sound credible.

''Of course, it's natural. I'm going to call him tomorrow morning, Good night sweetie,'' She kissed my forehead and made her way to her room.

Great ! Now I have to call Kendrick and tell him what story I made up so that he doesn't end up confused when Mariah calls and asks to meet my cousin's imaginary girlfriend.

Nice work me!

I went into my room and made sure the door was closed before calling Kendrick.

After a while, somebody finally picked up.