Chapter 13 - I Like You

''Where are you taking me?"

I asked for the third time as Haze drove, his blue eyes glued to the road. He just wouldn't listen. Or is it that he didn't want to answer? After I got Haze to tell my family he had to miss dinner, the whole Nicole-Kendrick act started. Nicole and Kendrick were great and Mariah seemed to buy it. That made it easy for me to flee into my room shortly after we cleaned up the table. I even got to avoid Kendrick's hate speech. I hoped Haze would forget about the deal and get busy but around midnight, my crappy phone rang. And here we were, both sitting in his rich kid car.

'' Hello? '' I shook my hand, trying to capture his attention.

'' It's me. '' He sang, amused.

'' Shut up. '' I rolled my eyes.

'' And dance with me. '' He added, laughing.

'' Would you stop answering in song lyrics, please ? '' I said, annoyed but secretly amused as well.

'' I will when you stop being too curious, love. '' He smiled, still not bothering to look at me.

''We've been driving for 1 hour... Can you blame me for being curious?" I pouted, resting my chin on my left hand as I looked out the window.

''We're going somewhere real nice, I promise." He smirked.

''Last time you said that, we ended up on a dusty rooftop." I giggled, mocking him.

''Oh come on, the view was nice, you know it." He sighed, running a hand through his hair.

Was he doing sexy things on purpose or was he just naturally attractive?

Yep. Same old question.

''Why was it so important for you that I came with you on this one particular night?" I asked, insisting.

''Oh my god, do you ever stop asking questions, Kingston?" He chuckled, rolling his eyes once more.

''Do you ever stop avoiding them, Adams?"

''Nope."

'' Jerk. ''

'' Prude. ''

A moment of silence followed. I couldn't help but smile at our weird complicity. I looked at him from the corner of my eye and saw that he was smiling as well... I liked the way we understood each other. We knew that we weren't really being mean to one another.

Oh my god, what was I thinking? I shook my head from left to right trying to shake that thought.

Why the hell did I agree to follow him?

Just like he was reading my mind, he put an end to the silence.

''We're here."

I tried to see but it was very dark. Too dark for my eyes to see anything.

Haze parked the car and stopped the engine. The night lights were turned off and what appeared took my breath away.

''Wow."

Wherever we were, the sky was amazing. You know how they say the lights in the city keep people from seeing the stars? Well, this was an enormous empty beach with absolutely no source of lights anywhere near it. The view was incredible.