Chapter 3

Heather and Carnation were talking together. Since the moment Zoey left to go on patrol, Dawn showed the newly she-wolf all the place and wolves, and so the lore and history of the packs, as with the rankings and gods. Now the dog was talking with a black she-wolf named Jet (who was the first wolf Dawn took her to meet), and every few minutes they giggled or licked each other's cheeks. Heather had a connection with Carnation since the first moment they met each other, and now they were laying down in a bright place, and the wolf was telling her a story.

"Yeah so then my dad went up the tree roots and said: 'Foresteers, greet the new alpha of your pack, my name is Alpha Robin, and I will do the best for my people and my land, and now I ask the gods for their approval' and then he started howling and everyone joined him" She was saying "It was the first new-alpha ceremony that I saw, and seeing my dad in the highest ranking fulfilled me with pride! It was amazing!" she wagged her tail.

"Yeah, it sounds super amazing! How I wish I was there!" she smiled and laughed. Then she looked at Dawn as he giggled again. "Do you think he likes Jet?" she asked Carnation.

"Eh?" she followed Heather's sight "Ohhh You're talking about Dawn! Sure he does, everyone can see it, but I think he is not brave enough to confess it to her." she said.

"Oh?" she laughed "I got an idea... you go for Jet, I go for Dawn, and we get them to confess to each other! With no turning backs! I don't know if I explain myself." she smiled and wagged her tail.

Carnation got excited.

"Oh gods, that is incredible! Yes, yes, yes! I know exactly what to do!" she sat down, but in that moment, the entrance tunnel's ferns whispered, and Zoey appeared through it. Heather felt how all the happiness she felt with Carnation faded away and just left pain and sorrow inside her again. She noticed how the other werewolf swept his eyes over the place until he spotted Heather, then, he walked to her. She sighted. As he got closer, Heather saw a small mouse in his jaws. He dropped it in front of her.

"I... hunted this." He looked at her.

"Okay." she pushed the prey aside.

"That was for you..." he whispered.

"And that's exactly why I did it." she growled and surprised herself to do that noise. "You know how things work here: the alpha eats first, then the rest of the Elite, and finally, the pack. You can't even follow the pack's rules..."

He looked at his paws and did a crying dog noise.

-Maybe he is truly sorry for his actions...- A voice in her mind told her -But how will I know? He lied to me more than once or twice, what proves that he is not doing it again?- she complained to herself.

Zoey looked at the sky and narrowed his eyes as the sun blinded him.

"The meeting will start soon... I will search for Dawn" and walked away.

Heather then, heard Carnation yawning.

"Are you two brothers? Your anatomy is very similar." She wagged her tail.

"No, he is just my friend... I guess... I am not even sure if he is that anymore..." she rested her head on her front paws.

"Oohh...!" Carnation laughed.

"What? No, no... I mean, in a bad way... he did something that hurt me."

Carnation stopped laughing and blinked.

"He lied to me..." she said.

"Oh, Heather... I'm so sorry to hear that... I'm sure—" a howl cut her off. Both of them looked at the direction of the big tree, where a gorgeous wolf was standing in.