Chapter Nine- The Talk Everyone Wants

Alissa POV

Bailey and I are doing our homework when a knock on the door appears.

"Should we answer it?" I ask not wanting to deal with Zack.

"Who is it?" Bailey calls.

"It's Cody, let me in." Bailey gets up and lets him in.

"Hey, Cody," I say.

"Hey, Alissa, hey Bailey."

"Hey," Bailey says.

"Bailey, would you mind if I asked for you to leave for a moment?"

"Is it private or something?" I ask.

"It's about Zack."

"I don't want to hear it, Cody. I am so done with him, and Bailey can be here."

"Alissa, I have something to tell you that's good."

I roll my eyes and say, "Let me guess Zack wants to apologize for breaking my heart?"

"Yes, but he has something else he wants to tell you. Please, Alissa, I know you both miss each other, I know that I told you to get over him."

"What do you want me to do Cody?"

"Do you have any clothes other than the ones you have been wearing?"

"Why?"

"Because Zack has something special planned for you."

"Yeah, London bought me some stuff she knew I would like."

"London bought your wardrobe?!" Cody and Bailey ask in unison.

"Yeah, but I had to do stuff for her and have a summer job."

"Tell Zack to get ready and Alissa will meet him at sunset."

"Ok."

I look at my female best friend and say, "I want you to cut my hair short but only so my hair comes back normal. So I Iook normal."

"Are you sure you want me to do that?" Bailey asks me.

"Positive."

After Bailey cuts my hair we dry it and put barrets in it, I then get dressed while Bailey waits outside the bathroom. When I come out of the bathroom Bailey looks shocked at my outfit.

"Wow, that outfit is very different from what you normally wear!"

"Well, Cody did say to wear something different."

"True. I have some One Direction perfume you can borrow."

"Thanks for everything, Bailey

"Thanks for everything, Bailey."

"Don't mention it, Alissa, it's a pleasure."

"Will you walk me out to the sky deck?"

Bailey nods and sprays some perfume on me before we go. As we exit her cabin Addison comes up to me, "Alissa, you look great! Why did you cut your hair though?!"

"It's time for a change," I answer.

"Can we watch and see how it goes with Zack?" Addison asks.

"How did you know?"

"Because Zack has been talking about you to me, Cody, and Bailey."

"Please don't I want to hear what he has to say in private."

"Ok, we will walk with you then."

We walk out and Zack is getting coaching from Cody which makes me laugh and Zack turns around. I look behind me and Addison and Bailey give me a few shoves forward, as Cody gives Zack some more advice in his ear.

"Okay, good luck you two," Cody says walking off with Bailey and Addison.

It's awkward between us for a good few minutes as Zack stares at me in shock, and I finally say, "Hi Zack."

"I...um...wanted to tell you that you look so...different from before. Your hair is so short now."

"Is that an insult Zack Martin?"

"No, you look pretty. But I...think we should sit down."

We walk over to a table and he pulls the chair out for me and then sits next to me in his chair.

"You do know that Cody is the one who got me to speak to you again?"

"Yeah, I know he told me everything Alissa, and I have some things I need to tell you."

"Cool."

"When did you stop caring?" he asks me softly.

"When did you start noticing?" I reply.

Zack is quiet for a while seeming hurt and he finally says, "When you stopped talking to me, stopped hanging out with me, and started getting better grades than me. Started talking to Cody instead of me."

"Zack, I spent years trying to get your attention because you were obsessed with Maddie, and when you were falling in love with her I was asking her for advice on how to get you to like me."

"What did I do when you tried to get my attention? I'm actually just curious."

"Sometimes you flirted with me and acted like I wasn't invisible. Remember the summer before Maddie came back, and you almost kissed me?"

"Oh, that was a dare from Bob!"

"Zack Martin, you're such a jerk!" I snap about to get up when he grabs my arm.

"Alissa, please let me finish. I'm sorry."

"Fine, but this better be good."

"I...honestly...don't know...how to say this. But I...I'm sorry for everything."

"Before I accept the apology I have some more things you should know."

"Okay, I have a question, Alissa. Why'd you change your style and hair and everything? First, you're a tomboy, then a scene kid, and now so girly?"

I sigh and say, "Maddie gave me some advice that if I wanted to get your attention I should change my style, which is why I became a scene queen. I wanted you to like me...Zack, I liked you as more than a friend for years and you never noticed me. Not until...you saw me after my makeover."

"So your whole style change was to get me to like you? Well, I noticed and I loved it because I have a confession to make."

"What?" I ask puzzled.

"I like you. I know I'm a jerk and a bad boy, but it's taken me a long time to realize that I like you too. I'm sorry for not noticing it sooner. It's why I did so many nice things for you, the smoothie, the clothes from Hot Topic, the necklace from Greece, and it's why I dated the other girls because I was confused about my feelings. And tried to put them aside because I knew you wouldn't feel the same."

"Are you...like really being honest with me right now? Do you actually like me Zack?"

"Yes, I like you, Ali! A lot more than friends I promise and I'm sorry for not telling you sooner."

"Well, I like you Zack, and I never thought you'd ever feel the same."

"I forgive you," I say and hug him. 

When we let go Zack and I go over to look at the sunset and he says as we look out to sea, "Ali, can I be your man? Cause it sounds like I kept you waiting long enough." 

"Yes, Zack, we can start dating!"

"Good, because then I can do this!" he says kissing me.

My insides turn to mush and I close my eyes allowing myself to get lost in the moment of my first kiss with Zack Martin. And I admit he's an amazing kisser.