A new life

This is my first teenage mutant ninja turtle fan fiction so please don't judge it too hard. If you know how to improve it, just comment and I'll try to make the story better. I don't own any thing from the story except the plot and Emma. I am also publishing this is on fan fiction.net with the same title.

Emma's POV

It was dark and it was cold. I was scared. My father had taken me, 8-year old Emma Andrews, to an alley and told me to stay there. That was two days ago. I wanted some food but I didn't know if I should leave. My dad may have done some mean stuff to mean but he would come back for me. At least, that's what I told myself. I shivered from the cold. Even though it was summer, it got really cold at night in New York.

Suddenly, I saw something. It was in the shadows but I could make out its outline. It was about as tall as me and had a....... tail? It stepped out of the shadows and I saw what it was. A rat in a red robe that was standing on its back legs. It seemed sort of human, the way it was standing.

"Hello, little one. What are you doing alone at night? Surely your family is worried about you," it said with a kind voice.

I took a deep breath before replying. "My daddy took me here two days ago and told me to stay right here. Do you know where he is?"

The rat looked at me with sad eyes and shook his head. But what he said next surprised me. "Will you come with me? You must be hungry and me and my sons have plenty of food."

"But what if my daddy comes and he sees I'm not here. I don't want him to get mad at me again." I was worried about the punishment my father would give me if he saw I'd disobeyed him.

The rats face hardened at the mention of my father but his voice was gentle. "I will keep an eye on this spot to see if he comes. But I don't want you to starve or get sick out here, little one."

"Okay then. My name is Emma. What is your name?"

He looked surprised I'd asked but answered my question. "You may call me Master Splinter. If I may ask, why are you not scared of me? I am very different from you."

"Why would I be scared of you just because you're different? Being different doesn't mean anything and you're being nice to me. So I'm not scared.

Master Splinter thought about this before smiling and helping me up. "Quite true, Emma. Let me take you home now so you may meet my sons."

I nodded and we went through the sewer gate to his home.

*Time Skip*

When we got there, I saw four turtles who stood like Master Splinter (on only two legs) and I hid behind Master Splinter. He chuckled at this and gently pushed me towards them.

"My sons, this is Emma. She shall be staying with us for awhile. Emma, these are my sons."

I looked at them and saw they each had different colored masks. The one with the blue eyes and the orange mask came up to me and stuck out his hand while introducing himself.

"My name is Michelangelo but you can call me Mikey." I timidly put my hand out too and shook his hand. His brothers quickly followed Mikey's lead and shook my hand while introducing themselves.

"I am Leonardo but you can call me Leo," the blue-masked turtle said.

"I'm Donatello but you can either call me Donnie or Don. Whichever you prefer," said the purple-masked turtle.

"My name's Raphael but I go by Raph," said the red-masked turtle.

"It's nice to meet all of you," I said before yawning. Master Splinter and the others chuckled while I blushed.

"Leonardo, please get Emma a blanket. Donatello, please clear off the couch. Raphael, please get a pillow." Master Splinter said.

When the boys had done what they'd been told, they said I could get on the couch.

"I'm allowed on the couch? Daddy said couches were for grown-ups only." I said while looking at the couch with amazement. Master Splinter frowned and the boys looked confused.

"Well, you can sit on our couch all you want. You're sleeping on it tonight, if that's okay," Mikey said. I nodded and climbed onto it.

"It's way comfier than my bed!" I exclaimed.

"Really? It's comfier than your bed, Em?" Mikey said.

I nodded then realized what he'd called me. "Em?"

Mikey smiled sheepishly before saying," Um, I like to nickname things and 'Em' comes from 'Emma', so.."

I smiled and said," I like it. You guys can call me Em if you want to." They all looked at each other and nodded.

Before going to his bed, Mikey came up and hugged me. I hugged back after hesitating a little.

"What's wrong?" Mikey asked, probably noticing my hesitation. Master Splinter and the others looked at me and I realized they wanted to know the answer too.

"Oh, well, it's just that i've never been hugged before." I said and the boy's jaws dropped.

" 'Never been hugged before'? Really?" asked Leo. I nodded.

"I'm glad I got to be your first hug, Em," said Mikey. I smiled and said," Me too."

"It is time we all went to bed now, children," said Master Splinter. This was the first time I can ever remember not crying myself to sleep in a long time. And I hoped it wouldn't be the last time.