Chapter 16: Odd Numbers

Date: June 4th 2014
Location: The Red Room (Russia)

*ECHO'S POV*

"Natastya my child you're the next in line. Come forward and face your opponent."

The young girl couldn't have been much older than me, yet she was already at a disadvantage standing a few inches shorter than my height as she nervously stepped forwards to face me. Her face was struck pale with terror, her blonde hair tied lowly into a loose bun behind her. She had an extremely small frame, it seemed if I touched her even lightly she'd snap cleanly in half. I half-expected her to retreat and give up straight away, but as she glanced to Dreykov he sternly looked back at her in warning. She had no choice but to fight me. With shaky breaths and erratic broken eye contact she raised her hands up to the side of her head in defense, placing her feet widely apart giving her more floor space. I only stared blankly into her eyes with a deadly piercing gaze, tilting my head to one side as my mouth grew into a grin. I could've sworn I heard her gulp in dread, but she had no time to think before I struck a fierce blow to the side of her cheek, the clatter of a tooth sliding across the floor. She winced out in pain as the drops of blood begun to stain the carpet beneath us, looking back up to face me guarding her face with her hands. Without thinking I swung my leg into her side jabbing her ribs with my foot, causing her to bend sharply to the left, taking this as my opportunity to take her down, gripping one of her arms and pushing it behind her back as I shoved her face down onto the ground. Too easy.

I started to walk over towards Dreykov, ready for him to give me a slightly more challenging task, just as I felt a sharp blow to the back of my head. I whipped around to find Natasya just dropping her leg back down after swinging it up to hit me in my head.

"You going to let her get away with that my child?"

"No." I replied sternly as I advanced towards the girl hovering in front of me.

She begun to stumble back in obvious regret of her action, but just as she started to fall back after catching her heel on an upturned piece of carpet, I grasped her hair with one hand holding her arms close to her sides with my other. She shouted out in shock as I begun adjusting my grip so I had my arm around her entire body, locking my free arm around her neck so that my elbow was digging uncomfortably into her chest. I felt her wriggle under my grip but it was no use. I was ten times stronger than she'd ever be, I'd been holding back the majority of my strength just before now, but there was no need for me to hide anymore. In a panic she began to claw at my wrists with her nails, but it didn't bother me. My pain tolerance could hold much worse than slightly sharpened nails by now. I was getting tired at this point, just wanting it to end, so without even glancing at Dreykov for approval I moved both my hands up to grip around her head, twisting it to the side in one fluid motion. I heard a sharp crack, releasing my grip as her body dropped falling limp onto the floor below. I looked down at her in disgust before turning back towards Dreykov who was still emotionless as I motioned at him raising my eyebrows slightly for some sort of recognition.

"You can add her to your list. How many is that now my child?"

"251."

"There's a reason you're my favourite." he grinned as I returned the gesture.

"I don't like odd numbers." I stated coldly.

"Don't worry. You'll have plenty of opportunities to fix that." he assured, moving his arm to follow the line of girls stood plastered frozen in fear against the far wall.

————————————⧗————————————

Present Day

*NATASHA'S POV*

"Hey guys we got a lead on Rumlow. Doesn't look like he's trying to hide, but could be something." Steve alerted as he strode forcefully into the kitchen.

"Where abouts Cap?" Stark questioned.

"Lagos, Nigeria. We should leave as soon as possible it's gonna be a tight window to make. Stark can you have the quinjet up and running to leave in an hour?"

"An hours pushing it a bit.. but I'm sure I'll figure it out."

"Okay team you heard Tony. Be ready to leave in one hour from now."

"Who's Rumlow?" I hear Echo ask as she looks up from her bowl of cereal.

"It's complicated, all you need to know is he's a bad guy with a bad agenda."

"Sounds fun, can I join?"

"точно нет"
("Absolutely not.")

"почему бы и нет, мама, мне здесь будет так скучно!"
("Why not Mama I'll be so bored here!")

"Hey you two not everyone here speaks Russian, in English please?" I faintly heard Stark mutter as I was still very much focused on Echo.

"Plus Peter and Rosie don't get back until Monday do you really want to leave me here completely alone? It could be days!"

"You know about Rosie?"

"Yeah Wanda told me yesterday whilst w- hey don't try to change the subject!"

"Kid's got a point Nat."

"Really James?"

"It's true Mama, pleaseeeee?"

"Okay fine." I sighed in defeat as I rolled my eyes in dismissal.

"Yayyy! I'll go get ready now." she yelled as she rushed up from the table and dashed up towards her room, stopping halfway in the hallway on the floor to her room.

"Wait a minute, what am I supposed to wear?"

"I'll find you something in a minute don't worry."

"Okay thanks Mama." she smiled as she rushed into her room slamming the door behind her in a panic to get ready in time.

"Didn't think you'd give in that easy Nat?"

"Yeah thanks for taking my side by the way!"

"Anytime my love." James winked as he stood to clear our plates.

"Leave the washing up, you should probably go find something for Echo to wear or she's gonna start shouting again."

"Nat you'll need to warn her, this isn't fun and games. People might get hurt when we're there." Steve instructed towards me as I turned round to face him.

"Trust me Steve, she knows what that's like more than anyone."