Chapter 17: That Hurt

*ECHO'S POV*

"You see that Range Rover halfway up the block?" I hear Steve mutter through the comms.

"Yeah, the red one. It's cute." Wanda replies, sitting at a table just across from me and Mama.

"It's also bullet-proof." I interject, noticing the familiar look of the car's frame.

"She's right, which means more guns, which means more headaches for somebody, probably us." Mama spoke back into the open line, just as Steve focused us all back to the target.

From what everyone had told me on the way, Rumlow has been trading some sort of weapons, and this is the best lead the team have had on him in months.

"Hey Sam you see that garbage truck?"

"Uh-huh."

"Tag it."

"Cap this thing's loaded for max weight."

"It's a battering ram. Wanda go, now! Nat hold your position."

I noticed as Wanda shot up from her table spilling the cup of coffee she was just stirring before, heading towards Steve's signal.

"What are we supposed to do?" I asked turning to face Mama next to me.

"You heard Steve, we've gotta wait here."

"But I can help you know I can!"

"Echo I'm not going to tell you twice, just wait for the signal."

I turned back down to face the cup of coffee still steaming as I swirled the spoon around it, clinking the spoon against the edge of the cup before hesitantly taking a sip of it. I immediately spat it out in disgust wiping away at my tongue trying to get that taste out of my mouth. I could see Mama in the corner of my eye sniggering as she held her hand over her mouth trying to stop herself from laughing.

"What the hell is that?!"

"It's coffee, remind me to never give you that again." she continued laughing, just as the comms crackled in our ears.

"Rumlow's got a biological weapon."

"I'm on it." Mama says as she swung herself up onto a motorbike parked nearby.

"Что ты хочешь чтобы я сделал?"
("What do you want me to do?")

"оставайся здесь и не двигайся."
("Stay here and don't move.")

Before I could argue she was already speeding ahead to follow the signal. If anything I was glad she'd left when she did, because there's no way I was going to stay here so at least she wouldn't have seen me run towards her.

It didn't take me long to catch up to the bike she'd dumped in the middle of a clearing, with my super strength I could run five times faster than the average person. Surrounding the clearing on one side were several scattered buildings, managing to make my way to the fifth floor of one of them. From the end window I had a clear view of the market below where I could just see the scene unfolding. A van I hadn't noticed before had now crashed in the centre of the market, four men clambering out the back doors and splitting up each in a different direction. Sam followed two, Mama following the others. Distant screams alerted me to where Mama was standing with a gun in hand, closely hovering next to her were the two men she'd been chasing each holding a gun back to her. I couldn't see too close up but somehow she managed to knock them both down, gripping the biological weapon tightly in her grasp as she made her way back to the others.

Steve and Wanda weren't far from Sam, only just visible to me from my position. The people from the building I'd ran into had now begun to gather around the windows watching the scene unfold. Suddenly out of nowhere the man standing in front of them both pulled the pin out of what seemed to be some sort of grenade, but before he could realise Wanda sealed him into an almost protective circle as she lifted him up into the air. Straight towards my building.