Chapter 19: Pumpkin

*ECHO'S POV*

I could feel my eyelids flutter at the faint glow of the light above, the familiar buzzing sound of the energy surrounding it. My senses were on high alert, even with my eyes closed I could tell I was back in my cell. I tried to ground myself as I realised my hands were chained to the side of the bed posts, he'd always made sure they were the strongest so I couldn't break them. Before I'd escaped I had almost no trouble being with my own company and my own thoughts, I had nothing to cling onto. But now, staring up at the flickering ceiling light above me only one thought crossed my mind, with everything that's happened I found myself in the moment longing to be back with everyone, but more than anything I wanted to be with my mama. My heart physically ached when I thought back to what had happened in Lagos, I keep seeing her face from when I yelled at her saying things I know deep down I didn't mean. I wish I could tell her I didn't mean it, I wish so badly to see her again and take it all back. I just need her right now, I can't be alone again.

————————————⧗————————————

*WANDA'S POV*

Since finding out Echo has been taken by the leader of the Red Room, Nat hasn't been acting like herself in any sense whatsoever. Before when her and Echo had fought she'd locked herself away in her room, but now she couldn't stop moving around, just trying to keep herself busy and her mind off of Echo. Of course she was trying more than anyone to find her but the Red Room had stayed secret all those years before so it seemed virtually impossible to locate it or her. I knew how much this was hurting Nat on the inside, no matter how hard she tried to keep it hidden on the surface. If my baby girl had been taken from me by someone so cruel as Nat describes him to be I wouldn't know what to do, I'd just want to keep her safe but Nat can't even do that right now, she can only hope of finding her soon.

The ding of the elevator behind snapped me out of my thoughts as I turned round to face it, just as two kids walked through still deep in conversation clearly not noticing me hovering in the kitchen.

"Hey pumpkin, how was your trip?"

"Oh hey mama, it was okay a bit boring."

"How is science boring?!" Peter asked in annoyance just as Rosie shrugged her shoulders back at him.

"I gather you liked it then Pete?"

"It was awesome I can't wait to tell Mr.Stark later!!"

"And I'm sure he can't wait to hear about it!" I smiled back.

I tried to put on my best smile for them both, I didn't want to tell them anything without Nat's permission first, but my daughter could see right through me.

"You ok mama?"

"Yeah baby why wouldn't I be?"

"That's your fake smile." she spoke, now tilting her head and looking at me in confusion.

I let out a sigh as I brought my hand up to rest against my forehead, leaning back on the kitchen counter behind me.

"I think you should both sit down a lot has happened since you left last week."

————————————⧗————————————

"AUNTY NAT HAS A DAUGHTER?!"

"Rosie quiet down Nat's only in the next room!"

"Okay sorry, Nat has a daughter?" she now whispered as Peter just continued to stare at me in shock.

I only nodded in confirmation as she held her hand over her mouth in shock.

"Is aunty Nat okay?"

"Not really baby she's keeping super busy trying to stop herself from thinking about it."

"We should bake her some cookies, I know your cooking always makes her feel better." she suggested as her eyes lit up at her perfect idea.

"I'm gonna go start on my homework this kinda seems like a mother daughter thing." Peter said as he motioned towards the stairs up to his room.

"You can join Pete if you want?"

"No no really Wanda, I'm okay. Cooking has never been my thing, especially after I nearly burnt down the kitchen last year trying to make mac and cheese."

I heard Rosie stifle a giggle just by my side as she began to climb up on the kitchen counter reaching all the different ingredients we would need to make the perfect batch of cookies.

"We're making chocolate chip right?"

"Of course we are pumpkin you can never go wrong with chocolate chip!" I laughed as I used my powers to lift her off the countertop.

"Mama I wish you'd stop doing that without telling me."

"Maybe I will, maybe I won't we'll see." I smiled back at her, just as she'd begun to mix together all the different ingredients into probably the largest bowl she could find from the kitchen.

Just as the mixture had started to come together Rosie stuck her finger into the bowl and licked it off her finger, smiling up at me as she realised I'd watched her do it.

"Now pumpkin if you wanna try some at least use the wooden spoon. Here!"

She yelled out as I held the spoon just near her mouth but brought it down just as she went to eat it, leaving a large swipe of cookie dough along the bridge of her nose.

"Mama stop!" she laughed as she grabbed the spoon from me and did the same to my nose.

"What?! You did it first!" she argued as I looked back at her sternly, just for a few seconds before I grinned back down at her.

Just as she was still wiping the mess off her face I could only think of what Nat must be going through. I don't know what I'd do without Rosie always by my side. She's been my rock, my best friend since she was old enough to remember, the person I love more than anyone or anything in this world.

Without warning I pulled her towards me, her head resting against my chest as I wrapped my arms around her, one resting against the back of her head.

"Mama what's this for?"

"I'm just so glad you're here pumpkin."

"I'm glad I'm here too." she assured, keeping her head laid against me as she wrapped her arms round my back tightly locked together.

We stood like this for what seemed like hours, the only interruption being the ding of the oven telling us it was up to temperature.

"Mama?"

"Yeah baby?"

"We gotta put the cookies in the oven."

I released my grip from around her, running my fingers through her dark blonde-auburn hair as she begun to scoop the dough onto the trays laid out in front of her.

"Hey Rosie.."

"Yeah mama?" she replied still very focused on scooping perfect and equal sized cookie balls onto the trays.

"I love you pumpkin."

She looked up at me dropping the spoon for a few seconds, and smiled up at me with those big brown eyes I've always adored.

"I love you too mama."