02 | space buns

WARNING: brief s4 spoilers.

CHAPTER 02 — SPACE BUNS

❝IT'S TOO MUCH TO RHYME THIS TUNE.❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT'S A LONG time before you and Nezha meet again.

There was no particular reason he was here at this moment and time, but it felt right to be away from everyone else. Everyone else in the Celestial Realm, that is. Where else could he go to avoid them, if not the Mortal Realm?

The night sky was an inky abyss with stars scattered throughout. It reminded him of home. The Celestial Realm, too, had inklings of stars at certain locations and times, but it never had a dark hue like this — as far as he can remember, the closest thing was the transition from sunset orange and pinks to a periwinkle sort of color.

There was no sight truly like this in the Celestial Realm.

At the same time, he can't help but feel homesick. It's been less than a day here, and he already wants to be home? Seriously?

Maybe, deep down in his heart, he believed that someone was looking for him back in the Celestial Realm. Not looking to see if he was training with his Universal Ring, or fire-tipped spear, but looking for him.

Is that where his homesickness comes from?

The faint rustling of grass and the blowing of the gentle breeze caught his attention. Sitting up, he looked around for a second, ultimately spotting you approaching him.

He almost didn't recognize you at first. Then again, it's been so long, he wouldn't be surprised if he completely forgot about you. Your face held a certain level of maturity (but, knowing you, maybe that didn't matter) and you seemed taller than before. The changshan you wore this time was a different color and had interwoven gold patterns, going down to your ankles. Far less simple than last time, he'd give you that.

But there was a certain charm to you he couldn't dare to forget, wasn't there?

He promised to remember you, after all.

"Hellooo, Nezha!" you beamed. "What brings you out here tonight in the Mortal Realm?"

The one thing that didn't change about you seemed to be your cheerfulness.

"I'm here to take a break from, er, Celestial Deity duties, I guess," he said, breaking eye contact. "And you?"

"Mhmm, no particular reason! I just spotted you, so, umm... I thought I should say hi since it's been a while!"

"'Been a while' is an understatement."

"Well, haha, a couple of centuries is nothing for immortals like us, right?" you laughed, taking a seat beside him. "Say, you wouldn't mind it if I played with your hair for a bit, would you?"