03 | red ribbons

WARNING: none.

CHAPTER 03 — RED RIBBONS

❝ABOUT THIS BLOOMING SPRING, WITHOUT THE WORDS FOR EVERYTHING,❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"OW!" YOU YELPED, landing against the cold, hard ground of the sky pavilion. You held the yo-yos in your hand tightly to make sure they wouldn't fly away (not that they would in the first place). Thankfully, you didn't seem to hit your head — which is good, because he wouldn't know what to do if you got concussed.

Oh well. If you did get concussed, it would become Erlang's problem, not his!

Nezha gracefully skated over to your side, extending a hand for you to grab onto. His other hand held his spear, his weapon of choice.

"You're so clumsy, you know?" he sighed, hoisting you up from the floor. "How are you supposed to be my sparring partner if you can't take a hit? Where are your defenses?"

"Well, sorry," you pouted. "You're not the one seeing the Gates of Heaven during this spar, Nezha... I feel like I'm gonna die when you charge at me!"

"My training isn't that brutal..."

"That's a lie, and we both know that."

He doesn't know how the two of you fell into this routine. It's not like the two of you had frequent encounters, in fact, you barely saw each other. So, how did he become your sparring partner? At what point did you start meeting monthly, weekly, or more?

He's not sure.

What he does know is that you've changed again from his memory that night. Like before, you're taller. The innocent, youthful features you had years ago had matured, marking your transition into what Jinzha dubbed, "teenagehood." Or in Muzha's case for Nezha, "angsty teenagehood," though the former claimed it was going on the moment Nezha developed a personality.

It was NOT true, by the way!

You wiped your hands on your outfit, getting rid of any dust from your encounter with the ground. Your eyes lingered on his boots that held his Fire Wheels. "Now you use cool fire-wheel skates..."

"I mean, they're not really skates." His finger traced the golden sole of his boots before removing the wheels. "The Fire Wheels let me move at great speeds, that is true, but they also let me fly—"

"Which I think is so overpowered!"

"—so I don't think you can classify it as just skates, since at its core, these are just normal boots."

"What kind of normal boots have attachable wheels..."

"Oh, shush."

"Besides, I kind of miss your ankle bandles. Remember when you used to walk around bare-footed, aha?"