05 | monkey king

WARNING: vague implications of suicide at the start.

(lasts until, "It's— it's nothing. I promise.")

CHAPTER 05 — MONKEY KING

CHAPTER 05  MONKEY KING

❝WE'RE FLOATING GENTLY NOW, WORDS ARE TAKEN FROM OUR MOUTHS,❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DESPITE BEING A deity of youth and patron of children, Nezha wasn't sure if handled them very well.

Would he be too formal about it? I mean, he won't be talking about complex arithmetic with them or anything, but what if he accidentally does? Even he can't predict what will happen, and he'd say he had pretty good intuition after being around two elder brothers, Wukong, and you for centuries.

In reality, it seemed that it stemmed from his childhood.

He can't remember too much from his own youth. Yes, he remembers fighting Ao Bing  how could he possibly forget something crucial like that, when people bring it up all the time? It's like his legacy or something. He remembers his father and brothers, but the memories start to get hazy from there. How did his father and brothers become deities? Why did he disobey his father so much? Why wasn't their mother in the picture? Did he even have a mother?

It's blurry.

In the nebulous corners of his memory, he might've been able to piece something together  but, in all honesty, he'd be better off not knowing.

Something about it was off to him.

Like it was forbidden. Or something he should stay away from, a Pandora's box he shouldn't open for his own safety.

The only reminder of his mortal past was the lotus-shaped scar that remained on his neck and across his chest. A scar that he woke up with, alongside this body of lotus rhizome.

A reminder of the havoc in the East Sea he caused during his youth that led to this point.

A reminder of the sacrifice he made.

"Nezha," you placed a hand on his shoulder. "Are you alright?"

You snapped him out of his thoughts. It was then that he could feel his hand pressing against his Adam's apple, against the blossomed scar on his skin. He could feel his blood pulsing against his hand. An indication that he was, in fact, alive.

"It's it's nothing. I promise."

The look you gave him clearly showed that you did not believe what he said. "Ohh, really now..."

"If I have an issue," he removed his hand from his neck, "you'll be the first to know. I swear on it."

"Hmmm, if you say so..." Like that, you dropped the topic in favor of something less grim. "Do you think Princess Iron Fan will enjoy our gifts?"