chapter two - hero in blue

"Sir, this is special agent Leon S. Kennedy."

"So you're the brave soul willing to risk your life to rescue my daughter?"

"Yes, Sir, I am."

"I warn you, Mr. Kennedy. When you find my daughter, don't underestimate her. She may be young, but she's clever."

"Don't worry. I will find your daughter and bring her home."

"Good."

...

Why did they choose you? Of all people. The president's daughter.

There's only one possible solution...to get close to Dad. Bring an infected leach to the president.

You woke up in this washed-up old church. The air was damp and humid, and the stench of rotting flesh penetrated your senses. As you paced around in your trapped room, the infected kept mumbling over and over the same line below you.

"Gloria a las plagas"

You began to get aggravated.

Glory to the plagas? Plague? It's Spanish, no doubt. Great. That could be a million different places. But why would they be saying that? Are they praying for something?

You paid very close attention to how they spoke and dressed, and the terrain from the small slit of a windows that showed the nave of the church and the outdoors.

Am I in Spain? That would explain the time difference on my cell.

You've been to Spain once before with your family. You were definitely nowhere near close to any big city. This is a village.

It was a village. Now they are infected. These poor people...

Suppose they are the living dead. They are not...normal...typical zombies. Suppose you would even call them that. They are being controlled from a higher source.

All you had on your person was your flip phone, which was practically useless.

Shit, it's out of battery! I'm stuck. Trapped. How am I going to escape? Dad must have sent someone for me. But how would they even find me here?

Every window is barred and closed, bringing no light except a dim lantern in the corner. Every door is locked, except maybe the front, which is guarded. Then...and only then, the only way out of this room was through a door that was locked from the outside. And if you did manage to take these zombies out, there are still more out there. There is no way you could survive this on your own. You wouldn't know the first thing to do or go unless you were trained from birth to do this sort of thing. It would've made your job a lot easier.

Meanwhile, in your confinement, you were planning.

If whatever terrorist group kidnapped me, they could be here any minute. I need a way to escape...somehow.

Trying to keep quiet and look for something useful, you find an eroding candelabra and start swinging it.

This will be good. It's sharp enough at the ends. Wait...why is my-

Suddenly, your hand went into a spasm, making you drop it hard onto the floor.

Dammit!

It was worse than before. Whatever they injected you with has brought the veins in your hand to a black color. You didn't recognize any virus that portrayed itself like this.

What's happening to me?

Shortly after, you hear the villagers start yelling that something was here. It didn't sound like a good thing. The infected in the church began to scramble out.