chapter fifteen - to safety

As fast as your legs could carry you, you ran down the many metal stairs to finally catch up to Leon. He was way farther down than where you expected. The fight with Saddler pushed him several yards away from the first lift-down. The rumbling ground from the weight of Saddler's body and nearby explosions shook as you ran. Saddler's limp, windy body slowly disintegrates as you leap over the parts blocking your way.

You can see him and the woman in red close to each other, and then a helicopter appears. She turns around and says something you couldn't make out from a distance. Thinking that he will follow her in, he doesn't. Therefore, as the helicopter ascends, he catches something in the air.

Feeling like a broken record, you call out for him as you finally reach him. He turns, and his face brightens instantly.

"Where is she going?!" you ask as you watch the helicopter fly away as the sun begins to crack the horizon.

"Who the hell knows..." he replies, having enough of whatever game she was playing. You frantically move and grab his arm.

"Leon...we got to get out of-" On cue, the building up the hill where you came from bursts in flames with a loud bang. Leon grabs your hand and takes you to the nearby lift.

"How much time do we have left?" he asks you as he begins to reload with the remaining ammo he has.

Wait...how does he know?

Perplexed, you answer him anyway.

"By the looks of it... probably a couple of minutes," you reply.

"A couple of minutes is all we need." he grins, and finally, the lift stops. You both sprint as fast as you can down a tunnel deep beneath the terrain.

Just keep moving, keep moving.

Expecting zombies to come and stop you, they all begin to squirm.

A puppet without its master is nothing but a doll with strings...

"Don't stop! This place is about to collapse!" Leon shouts, and you keep up with him through the chaotic path. You hope he knows his way until your doubt is terminated when a jet ski lands in his possession. Leon smoothly hops on, takes the key from his pocket, and runs the engine.

"Hop on!" he waves at you and offers his hand to help you on. "You like thrill rides?!" he asks with a smile over the explosions and falling rocks while you sit behind him.

"Love them!" you tell him, wrapping your arms around his waist.

"Then you're gonna love this!" he exclaims, and you both take off.

The heat from the trail of explosions and splashes of water brushing against your face was very much like a thrill ride. The jet ski going over a hundred miles an hour is cutting through the water like butter. With Leon's quick reactions, he effortlessly guides the water motorcycle and dodges every obstacle. What's something that he can't do?

In the far distance, a bright light begins to shine through up ahead.

The exit....we're almost there!!

As the cave implodes and crumbles to nothingness, the sounds of explosions worsen. This entire island is second away from becoming nothing at all. And you both are inches away from being burnt alive.