chapter five - priest

The sun has just passed the horizon, and the creatures of the night begin to rise from their slumber.

The rain and thunder from the cloudy sky is still persistent. At this point, every inch of you is soaked from head to toe. Your lips have grown a purple color, and your body trembles from the cold.

Nonetheless, you still hold on.

"Condor One to Roost. Do you copy?" Leon speaks while holding his hand to his ear, but there is no response. "Roost, this is Condor One. Do you read me!?"

Leon is just a few feet ahead as you watch him struggle from behind. He switches between his radio earpiece and a device he carries to check the map.

"Roost!... Hunnigan, are you there? Over!" he repeats one last time. "Shit," he whispers. There's no signal in this rural part of the town, especially with the weather and surrounding mountains. The luck is now down in the gutter.

"I guess we're stuck here, huh?" you say disappointedly, but deep down, you are terrified. You were frightened, tired, and wet. You didn't think you could manage for much longer.

We are never getting out of here...

He turns to look at you but keeps walking forward. "Don't think like that. We will get out of here." he pronunciates. He hasn't given up yet. His confidence is too high for your liking, but you appreciate it.

Soon after, you both approach another wooden gate.

All these gates must've been put up when the residents began to turn to block off certain areas. That would explain all their defense systems.

Leon unlocks the hatch and pushes open the heavy gate with his whole body. So far, there was no infected waiting for you on the other side, but in the far distance, you could see the flames of torches. Signifying another fight.

"Alright. You ready?" Leon asks you.

"Ready as I'll ever be," you say in a distressed tone and continue to follow him.

Unexpectedly, you feel something grab your arm, halting you from going any further.

In response, you quickly turn your head and swing your arm to punch the sucker who's grabbing you. However, you're stunned with fear when their huge hand catches your fist.

An 8-foot tall man with a fedora and a black leather trench coat towers over you. Before you could scream, Leon was already there to put a knife in his arm, allowing you to escape. The fear in your eyes as you realize how massive this man was.

The man directs his attention to Leon and glares at him with wrath. With the same arm, the man pulls away and strikes Leon hard in the chest. Lifting him in the air and propelling him to the ground yards away from you.

"Leon!" you shout for him and rush to his body that lies on the muddy road. His arms are holding his chest while he grunts in pain.

He's hurt...

"You...you need to get up!" You warn and attempt to lift him.

"Your soul...requires...cleansing," the man finally speaks as metal grinding comes from his hands. "There's no escape."

No way! He's locked us out!

Leon is clearly impaired, but the big man is approaching you both.

"I'm getting sick of your shit," Leon grunts at the man and attempts to push himself up to look up at you. "Run y/n..." With every word, he struggles to breathe.

"I'm not leaving you!" You shout back and pull out your handgun.

Now feeling forced, Leon manages to pick himself up. "I said run!" He shouts.