chapter sixteen - sleepover

You both walk in and analyze the space as he locks the door behind you.

Leon sighs and looks at you ahead of him. Then his eyes travel to the bed. He puts his gear on the tiny table with his cap. "I should've known." He mumbles and runs his hands through his damp hair.

"Can you go down and ask them?" You ask him gently, trying to make light of the situation.

"It doesn't matter. They set up this room for special agents." He says as he walks over to the side of the bed to reveal a secret department within the nightstand. He reaches in, grabs a Glock, and loads the mag.

I guess the person who made this haven didn't expect agents to have another guest. Agents like Leon don't always carry a burden; they work alone.

Leon looks up at you and notices the thoughts running through your head. So, he slowly approaches you.

"You can have the bed tonight. I'll manage." He says. Leon grabs the extra pillows and blankets from a closet and places them on the cold hardwood floor.

You feel guilty. Leon deserves more than sleeping on the hard floor. Yet, this man can never think for himself but to put you first. You're the mission. You're the priority.

"Leon." You say louder than you wanted, but you need him to look at you. He stops, and his eyes finally meet yours as he tilts his head. Trying not to look away from them, you watched as the man's blue eyes softened. Examining your expression made his heart melt a little more.

Leon slowly rises.

He knows.

"Thank you......" You speak awkwardly. "I wouldn't... be here if it weren't for you." finally, you see him crack a smile. The first sign all day that there is a natural person underneath this cold protector.

"You can thank me...when you're home safe." He smiles as he bends down again to fix his makeshift bed.

Everything that you both went through these past couple of days has been the most traumatizing. You have lost count of how many times he's saved you. How could you ever pay him back?

I'm sure the "president" will handle that. Give him a huge pay. Give him accreditation. Shit, even give him a medal for saving his daughter. But this isn't over. The virus, the mutants. This is just the beginning. There will always be another problem. Another mission. This won't end unless someone gets to the bottom.

As soon as he was finished, he got up. "Stay here. I'll be right back," he commands and approaches the door.

"Where are you going?" you ask as he grabs his gun and puts on his hat again.

"We're going to need supplies. It won't take long. If anybody knocks, don't answer it." he orders, and before you can get a word out, he's gone.

You grunt in embarrassment and run your hand through your soggy hair.

The room was simple. Containing one bed, a nightstand, a table with two chairs, and a wooden drawer with no TV.

Some room...

But it looked too simple. It gave a sense that it was masking what it truly bestowed.

Slowly walking in the direction of the drawer across the bed, it practically looks misplaced. Like how you saw Leon earlier with the nightstand, it must hide something.

I'm sure Leon will figure it out...

You headed for the bathroom and reached for the sink.

You finally got a good look at yourself since you've been kidnapped.