Chapter 3

The week passes in a blur. Class after class, reading after reading. And all you can think about is him... Professor Laufeyson. Or Loki—as you discovered his name. He's an enigma. Someone you can't quite believe is real.

The problem is that since that night in the library, Loki hasn't looked your way. Not even in his class when you raised your hand several times to answer his questions. He hadn't selected you to speak. Was he avoiding you?

Walking into your Ethics class, your last class on a Friday, you find a seat towards the back of the room. You're early; there aren't many people here yet, but when you sit down, you find your mind drifting again – remembering the strange, intimate conversation you shared with Loki. How something magical seemed to dance between you both. You couldn't have been the only one who noticed it.

"Hi!" a girl's voice says beside you, making you jump.

She's incredibly pretty – her skin is light and smooth, contrasting delicately with her dark, wavy hair. Her bright blue eyes are vivid, sparkling with a kind of lively intelligence that immediately captivates you.

At your surprised face, she smiles and nods to the seat next to yours. "Can I sit with you?"

"Sure," you say, gesturing for her to sit down. It's still early, so many seats around the auditorium are empty. You're surprised she hasn't selected one of those instead.

"Thanks," she breathes, sliding into the padded chair and dropping her bag to the table. "Ugh, can you believe we have a test for this class on Monday?"

"A test? Already?"

"Yeah... so annoying. This professor is renowned for them."

You face the front as the professor walks in. He's nothing like Loki – old, short, receding hairline. His pinched, sour face makes you wonder if setting tests is this man's only joy in life.

"Do you know what it'll be about?"

"Yeah, today's lecture and the five readings we have to do over the weekend," she sighs, pulling her laptop from her bag and putting it on the desk in front of her. "I mean...I know I came here to learn and all that. But the first week is meant to be fun, right?"

At her pouty face, you can't help but laugh. "I'm Y/N," you say with a smile.

"Sylene."

Sylene presses the power button on her laptop, and the screen illuminates to show a photo of what looks like a bridge made from a kaleidoscope of colours, each hue more vibrant than the last. At one end, there's what appears to be a beautiful city, full of golden structures that pierce the sky, and at the other, the bridge extends into space, disappearing into a swirling nebula of stars and cosmic dust.

"Wow, that's pretty," you say, unable to stop gawking at it.

Sylene smiles tightly and quickly clicks on Word. "Yeah, it was."

You frown, confused by her meaning, but you don't have a chance to ask as the professor calls for attention, and the lecture begins. His monotonous voice is nothing like Loki's. You're surprised you managing to take notes. It's correct when people say the right teacher can make or break your education.

Yeah, it helps if they're fucking gorgeous, too.

"Do you want to study for the test together?" Sylene asks at the end of the lecture. 

She was right. The old man had set them a 30-minute quiz on what had been discussed today, as well as stuff they have to study over the weekend. "I tend to work better with a friend. I get so distracted otherwise."