Ch.1 : into the new world

September 1963.

After weeks of begging and waiting, I could finally say that I was going to high school. Voltaire High might not have been my ultimate choice but it had to do. It was taking me one step closer to my goal. Freedom. I could taste it already.

I got out of bed, put my slippers on and got downstairs for breakfast. The house was silent, as usual. Mother had left for work an hour ago and shouldn't be back before I was. I took the loaf of bread from the counter and the jam from the fridge. I forced myself to eat two slices, the last thing I'd want was for my stomach to grumble in the middle of class. I thought I'd get enough attention already. The mere thought of joining this newly coed school was making me anxious. I could only hope there would be enough girls to distract the boys from my presence. I couldn't afford anything going wrong and boys had a habit of doing so.

I looked up to the clock.

07:04

I quickly finished up and took my plate to the sink. I'd do the dishes when I got back in the evening. I went back upstairs and changed into my thoughtfully prepared clothes. Nothing too outstanding, but it was decent enough for a first day. I grabbed my bag, not without double-checking that all my stuff was inside. I was all set and got out the door without looking back.

« It's going to be okay, just breathe » I reassured myself while walking down the street. I didn't find myself very convincing.

The walk to school took about 25 minutes normally but I made it there in 20 minutes.

There it was. That stupidly tall metal gate. Students were getting inside but all I could see was boys. I looked everywhere near the entrance. Not a single girl in sight. I was so screwed. I took a deep breath, tightened the grip of my hands on the handle of my bag and walked inside the wolf's lair. The moment I walked in, any conversation that might have happened just stopped. I could hear a few murmurs but I surely could see all of them staring at me. And were those the teachers looking out the window ?

I didn't look around any more, I walked straight to the board with the classes. I avoided making eye contact. It might have sounded stupid but I felt that if I looked one of them in the eyes, all hell was going to break loose. As I searched for my name on the lists, I suddenly felt a presence behind me.

« Oh my god, I really thought no one was coming, I was so nervous » exclaimed the girl.

I turned around and was met with a cute blonde. Her hair was curly and put in a ponytail. I let down my guard.

« Me too, I felt like they were going to eat me alive » I chuckled.

« I'm Michele, I'm a freshman » she told me. She extended her hand.

« I'm Honora, but you can call me Nora. It's nice to meet you Michele » I shook her hand. « I'm a freshman too » I smiled.

As we were finding our names on the same list, we're joined by an energetic brunette.

« Why are there so little of us ? Did they all ditch this place last minute ? » she breathed out loudly.
« I'm Simone, this place is making me nervous. I was waiting at the corner of the street for other girls to get in before I did ! » I let out a small laugh followed quickly by Michele.

« I'm Nora » « I'm Michele, I think you're in our class » Michele pointed out.

« Great, it's going to be less awful this way » Simone grinned.

Maybe she was right and it was going to be a fun year.

As we were chatting in front of the board, a boy approached us, looking nervous yet determined. He stopped behind us to scan the lists.

« Oh no.. » he mumbled with wide eyes.

« Is there an issue? » I asked him.

« I'm in Bluebeard's class.. » he whispered horrified.

« Bluebeard ? » I sent a look to the girls beside me. He nodded and raised his pointer finger to the list my name was on. Great.

« The four of us are in the same class then. What's your name ? » I asked him.

He looked surprised I talked to him.

« I'm Pichon... Henri Pichon » he let out.

« Well, it's nice to meet you Pichon, I hope we'll have a pleasant year together » I told him. He seemed nice and it was probably better to have a boy by our side.

He looked taken aback but still managed to smile in response. Just as I opened my mouth to add something, the bell rang, indicating the beginning of classes.

We made our way inside with everyone else, not without glances thrown our way. We found our home room and got inside. Simone and Michele sat together while I sat at the desk right across from them, in the middle row. I got my pencil case and a notebook out of my bag and prepared myself for my first class.

One way or another, this year was about to be memorable. I just couldn't imagine how right I was.

 I just couldn't imagine how right I was

hi everyone,

hope you're all doing well. i hope you liked this first chapter. i'll probably edit a few things here and there but nothing major that will change the story!!

english isn't my first language so don't hesitate to point out any mistake :)

it's been a few years since i've written anything so don't be too harsh please :,) i'll try my best to update as fast as possible but finals are close (and let's be honest, your girl is a master procrastinator ) so don't expect an update everyday until mid january

let me know what you thought of this first chapter, joseph will be introduced in the next one !!