Ch.8: genesis

Latin class was finally over. Even after 3 months, the constate was still the same : I was just not good at Latin.
I couldn't wait as holidays were right around the corner and I wouldn't have to deal with this awful language. When I was packing my stuff to get to lunch, I felt someone towering over my shoulder.

« Did you finish the presentation ? »

Descamps. Great, I needed to see him.

« Yeah, I was meaning to give this to you. It's a copy of everything put together. The blue part is mine, yours is yellow » I explained, showing it on the paper.

He grabbed his sheet and started to look over it, still leaned over my desk.

« Can you move? I'd like to get to lunch while there's still hot food »

« You need to change a few things » he ignored me and grabbed my pen, starting to scribble some notes down.

Just take your time, I guess.

« Descamps, I'm about to die of starvation if you don't hurry up. » I whined.

« I'm done » he announced.

« Good, now can I please go to lunch or do you have any more recommendation ? »

He sighed and looked at me directly.

« Why are you acting like a bitch ? » he asked.

« I'm acting like you are. Not nice » I insisted on the las two words.

« Is this why you've been avoiding me since Saturday ? You know I didn't mean it like that »

« Really, tell me how I'm supposed to know. Because your behavior right now is telling me the opposite » I spat.

He leaned down a bit, leaving us eye to eye.

« You truly have to make everything difficult, don't you ? »

Difficult ? He was the one making it hard. The audacity !

« Yes, I do. I plan on making your life excruciatingly difficult. That's my life goal. Is that what you want to hear Descamps? Now, if you'd excuse me, I'd like to eat before you waste my entire lunchtime. »

I got up and left.

Once I got to the cafeteria, Simone was waving me over.

« I saved you some bread, they go out like crazy » she explained.

« Thanks Simone. I was two seconds away from eating Descamps » I sighed.

« Descamps ? What did he want? » asked Martine, another freshman who ate with us everyday.

« He wanted to know if I had finished the presentation for tomorrow. I mean, he should've been worried about that earlier this week, not the day before. But then, he had the audacity to make changes to my perfectly written notes! »

I realized I was probably rambling and sounded crazy to my friends.

« Are you alright ? » asked Annick, clearly concerned.

« He is pushing me to my wits ends » I declared, fed up with the whole Descamps situation.

What I would never have admitted to them, was that it was more than a team situation. I could not understand Descamps, no matter how hard I tried. If he disliked me so much, why did he care if I avoided him? He was confusing.

« Are you guys ready for tomorrow ? » Michele asked, before shoving a piece of bread in her mouth.

« Pichon and I worked hard, I hope the teacher will give us good grades » Annick said.