Ch.17: pity party

Going to Pichon's surprise party was not my biggest priority at the moment but Simone had insisted it would take my mind off my problems for a bit. As if my problem wouldn't attend the party too.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My heart skipped a beat. I had dark circles under the eyes, my hair was a mess but what truly hurt was that look on my face. I looked miserable. I couldn't believe what was in front of me.

I had joined Voltaire for my dreams to be independent, to be free. And here I was, being a ghost of myself for a boy who couldn't care less about me.

Screw Joseph Descamps. I was going to that party, I was going to enjoy myself and have fun with my friends.

I took a bath, making sure to scrub everywhere, washing my filthy hair at the same time.

I dried my body and hair and looked through my closet for a nice outfit.

I found a nice yellow dress with a white collar. It was perfect for a summer party.

I brushed my hair, curled the ends of it outward, and put a white headband I had borrowed from Annick. I wore my usual jewelry. I took my keys and shouted to mom not to wait for me.

I had decided to walk there, as my bike was nowhere to be found.

Pichon's house was not far from mine so I quickly made my way over. The party had already started when I got there. Music and laughter were heard from outside the house.

I quickly found my way to what had become the dance floor where Simone and Pichon were absolutely killing it. I waved eagerly at Simone which she gave back between two moves. I walked through the crowd, trying not to crush someone's foot with my heels.

I found Felbec and Applebaum, sat at a diner table, drinking out of expensive glasses. I plopped down between them, gladly accepting the drink Applebaum offered.

« Poor Pichon, he's still hoping Annick will come » Felbec commented.

« She's coming, she let me know she'll be a bit late since she lives further away » I explained.

« You think she's going to dance with him ? » Applebaum wondered.

I laughed.

«  Annick Sabiani ? On the dance floor ? That is a sight I'd pay to witness »

Felbec cleared his throat, making me look at him.

« We learned about you and Descamps » he started. « I know you probably don't care about what I could say, but for what it's worth, I'm sorry »

« Thanks Didier » I said. « And Descamps can go fuck himself »

« He looks like he's about to fuck someone else » Applebaum muttered, making Felbec nudge him.

I followed his gaze through the door and that's when I saw him, leaned down to whisper something in this girl's ear, making her laugh intensely. Was that Pichon's sister ?

« He's an ass to do that in front of you, don't mind him » assured me Felbec.

I squinted my eyes. Maybe the alcohol was giving me the same audacity he had sober, but I was ready. Game on.

I turned to Daniel.

« Remember when you almost broke my nose in P.E. ? » he widened his eyes. « You owe me one because of it. I need you to dance with me » I pleaded.

« To piss off Descamps ? Are you out of your mind ? » he protested. I looked at Felbec, who was already shaking his head.

« Fine » I finished my drink in one go, making them gasp. « Since nobody wants to, I'll find someone else »