Ch.13: gonna take you there

Breakfast with my mother was awkward the next morning. When you spend almost an entire year playing roommates with your own mother, it's hard to go back to a normal mother-daughter relationship.

« What are your plans for today? » she asked, between two bites of a jam sandwich.

« I have classes until 4 and then I'm probably going to study with my friend Michele » I said a bit taken aback.

« I see. Don't come back too late. Thomas is in town so I'm making lasagna tonight » she explained.

« Alright » I stood up, putting my plate in the sink.

« You're leaving already ? » she wondered, a bit surprised.

« I leave for school at the same hour everyday, mom » I explained.

She blinked twice, clearly not having paid attention on how late I was leaving this past year. This was really going to be a weird time.

I grabbed my bag, wishing her a good day and headed out the door.

The way to Michele's house was apart of my daily routine at that point.

I joined Simone, who was leaning against the wall, looking a bit pale.

« Are you alright? I worried.

« Yes, don't worry. It's just my stomach »

« Are you on your period ? » I inquired quietly.

She shook her head.

« No but it's been... three weeks I think ? Maybe it's just really early »

« Yeah, it can happen » I agreed.

Michele finally arrived and like every day, we made our way to school together.

The first thing I noticed was that he was not in his usual spot. I looked for him, only to find him and his friends sat on a bench, chatting and laughing. He looked away from them for a moment, staring in my direction. I avoided his gaze. I couldn't help but feel slightly ashamed of the state he saw me in yesterday.
He had seen me in such a vulnerable moment that it was hard not to find it odd to see each other back in a normal setting.

I simply made my way inside the building, greeting Pichon and Applebaum on my way there.

In Natural Sciences, I was sat next to Annick, Descamps and Dupin just behind us.

The teacher started handing out the copies. I didn't even bother to try and guess my grade. With him, I always managed to get the bare minimum : 10. As long as I don't fail, I'm good.

« Laubrac, 10 » I could see Pichon giving him a thumbs up.

« Verssel, 11 »

Well, that was a first. Annick nudged me with a smile, as happy as I was.

« And finally, Miss Sabiani, 12 »

12 with Hermann ? Annick was too smart for Voltaire. Laubrac and Pichon started clapping, everyone following soon after.

« Quiet. I'm not the one grading severely, y'all are just stupid » he said with a stern expression

« For tomorrow's class, we'll do something different » he smiled weirdly. I was scared to see what he prepared for us.

He went up to his desk, finally uncovering the aquarium in front of him.

It was full of frogs.

« Dissection is at the programme »

I could feel Annick tense up by my side, clearly not comfortable with the idea of opening these little creatures alive. I was absolutely grossed out while I could hear so many guys laugh and be excited. Disgusting.