Ch.15: again

A few weeks went by, and unfortunately, the situation didn't get any better. It honestly became worse. Michele refused to speak to Simone, no matter how hard the other girl tried. It broke my heart to see my friends split up like this. Michele was hanging out with Martine and her friends while Simone was either with me, Jean-Pierre or Pichon and the boys.

Michele, while not actively avoiding me, didn't talk that much to me anymore.

The only good thing to come out of this was that those last few weeks strengthened my relationship with Descamps, as we spent more time together. While we weren't out in the open for everyone to see, our friends knew and that was what mattered.

That morning, I was sat on the small wall in front of the school, waiting for Annick to arrive as I had a book for her she wanted to borrow. Michele arrived, giving me a small smile, which I did back. I couldn't help but sigh, missing my girlfriends.

Annick arrived soon after, parking right next to where I sat. She greeted me, her hair a bit undone by the wind.

« I got the book you talked about last time » I started, searching for it in my bag. Found it.

« Are you sure your dad doesn't mind I borrow it ? » she inquired.

« No, don't worry. I think he'll be more than happy to know they're not collecting dust while he's away » I chuckled.

« Thanks, I'll get it back to you once I'm done »

« Don't sweat it » I assured her.

We got inside the courtyard, chatting about books. Annick and I had grown comfortable with one another.

« Can I ask you something, Nora ? » she suddenly asked.

« Sure, whatever is on your mind »

« You're friends with Alain, right ? »

« Yes, I mean, he's hard to keep track of nowadays but yes, he's my friend » I said, trying to mask my frustration by a laugh.

« It's Michele, right? » she supposed.

« What ? »

« He's dating Michele, and ever since Simone and her don't speak, they spend a lot of time together »

« Annick Sabiani, you are way too smart for Voltaire » I said, amazed. « I trust you so don't repeat it, but they've been dating since the frog situation last month »

She sighed, looking annoyed at the information I had given her.

« Have you noticed he's failing recently ? Even math ? » she asked.

« I have. But Michele is a touchy subject to him, and I don't think I'm in the best position to lecture him about relationships » I admitted

« But you dating Descamps hasn't changed your grades; your one way to university » she argued. « People like us can't afford second chances, Nora, you know it all too well »

I sighed.

« I know » I looked at her. « Do you have an idea ? I want the best for him, Annick, but I'm out of ideas »

« Let's just talk to him after the math test today, see what he says, and we'll advise »

Only problem was: Alain didn't show up for the test. Actually, he showed up half an hour before the test was over, making it impossible for him to pass.

Annick got out first, wanting to have a word with the teacher before catching Alain. I waited for them on top of the stairs in the hallway. She joined me soon after, announcing me they were hidden in that little corner next to the classroom.