Chapter 2: The Beginning

They pulled up to the Hale House, hidden in amongst the trees. The winter had stripped the trees of their cover leaving spindly looking hands reaching out towards them.

Stiles scanned the surrounding area looking for a lifeless form, human or otherwise, strewn across the floor, but there was no sign. Out of the corner of his eye Stiles could see Scott subtly sniffing about the area.

"Got his scent." Scott said, and he was off following a thin trail of blood along the floor before Stiles had even got out of the car.

Scott pushed open the rotting door of the house and cautiously took a step inside. He held his hand out behind him warning Stiles not to enter.

Since the fire Derek hadn't bothered doing up the place, which is a monumental shame because the house truly was beautiful before the incident. The only part that was still compatible with living in was the first floor and the west side of the second. The third floor and attic were scolded, the wood splintered and black, stains tarnished the once elegantly carved wood. There were large, gapping holes in the roof and the structure looked as if it could topple over at any moment.

Scott gave the go ahead and Stiles followed him through the door and further into the house. Suddenly Scott stopped and whipped his arm out in front of Stiles stopping him in his tracks.

Stiles could feel the hairs on the back if his neck standing up, his hands becoming clammy.

'I should have just stayed at Lydia's, Scott probably had this covered, why do I do this to myself?!' Stiles thought to himself.

"Its Derek, God." Scott grimaced. "There's so much blood, come on we need to be quick"

Scott briskly moved up the stairs, taking them two at a time. He guided Stiles around the house like it was his own.

They sped all the way to the back of the house, in what seemed like seconds, until they came face to face with a steel door. Stiles tried to slide the huge, metal bolt across, but it was far too heavy for Stiles, a mere human, to move.

Scott shoved past him, grabbed the bolt and heaved it across the door. The metal bent underneath his fingers until it cracked and came loose from the door.

They rushed through to find a beaten and bruised form, bundled in a heap in the corner.

Scott rushed across the room, to Derek's side. Stiles stopped in the middle, holding back at the sight of the pints of blood leaking over the floor.

"Oh God Derek, what happened?" Scott spat out, pressing down on the biggest wound, trying to stop the bleeding.

The werewolf released an atrocious sound, a deep guttural growl, he tried to sit up but Scott forced him back onto the ground.

Derek began to explain the story, it was hard to follow, Stiles could just about catch words here and there.

"I was out... on a run... can't remember much, saw shadows... I was surrounded" He winced, "Next thing I know.. I'm in a basement. No windows, I was there for days, I-I must have dropped my phone, there was no way out." He began to relax a little as Scott drained the pain from him and into himself. "They wanted information about my family, the pack." Scott face contorted into a look of worry and concern. "They got nothing, I can take a little beating"

"Looks more then a 'little' beating to me" Stiles chimed in gagging into his fist.

If Derek heard the comment, which he probably did, werewolf hearing etc, he chose to ignore it.