Part 2

"Can I talk to you?" Alec asked Magnus, who was facing away from him. 

Magnus took a deep breath before he turned around. 

"Alexander, how can I help you?"

"It is Alec to you." Alec was quick to remind. 

"My bad, what can I do for you?" Magnus's hand habitually went to touch his ear cuff. One of his nervous ticks. As much as he was happy to hear that Alec wanted to talk to him, he was not stupid enough to think Alec wanted to talk because he wanted to see how Magnus was. He knew Alec needed something from Magnus, and that is the only reason as to why he talked to Magnus. Alec definitely hated having to talk to Magnus, and his bitter scent confirmed Magnus's suspicion. 

As much as Magnus's alpha wanted to react to  Alec's displeased pheromones, over the years, Magnus perfected the control over his alpha, so it was not much trouble for him to completely cover his scent. He also knew Alec grimaced whenever his scent was even slightly on the air, so he always made sure to hide scent whenever he was around Alec. 

"We need a few portals opened up tomorrow. To L.A institute, Lima Institute, and Idris. Can you be at the institute first thing in the morning?" Alec stood tall with his hands behind his back. Alec's no nonsense stand, as Magnus would like to call it. 

"This is a very last-minute notice." Magnus already had plans for the next day morning, and normally Alec would give him a day notice, so he wondered why Alec waited till the last moment, this time. 

"My apologies. Warlock Lorenzo Rey was in charge of the portals, but due to personal issues, he would not be able to attend tomorrow. I understand this is a last-minute notice, but I would really appreciate it if you could attend tomorrow morning."

'So, I was your second choice.' Magnus chuckled to himself. He was not even surprised anymore. 

"I will not be able to attend tomorrow morning, but if it is that urgent, I can make some time for later tomorrow. I already have previous engagements that I can not change." 

'I could probably cancel an appointment or two.' Magnus thought. His schedule for the next day was fully packed, but his stupid alpha whined at the thought of saying no to other alpha.

"Mid-day would be the latest we can afford." That was Alec's way of saying that Magnus needed to be at the institute at that time, and there was no room for any negotiations. As much as Magnus had a crush on Alec, those kinds of moments made Magnus actually question his sanity. 

"It is going to be two times of normal rates." Magnus said before he turned. He knew for a fact that Alec wanted to end the conversation as quickly as possible, and for once, he also did not want to keep on talking to the Shadowhunter. Therefore, there was no reason for any fake pleasantries. Magnus could already feel a slight throb in his head, and he wanted to get out of the party as soon as possible.

Magnus was not surprised when Alec did not say anything in return. He assumed that Alec must be glad that for once Magnus stepped away from him before he politely asked Magnus to fuck off. 

'You are pathetic.' Magnus blamed his alpha who was still trying to clawback so he could go and spend more time around the other alpha. 

'What kind of alpha react to another alpha like that?' Magnus asked from the alpha even if he knew he was not going to get an answer back. 

-----------------

Magnus, are you okay? Cat's voice made him look back as he was just about to leave the building. 

"Dear Catarina, always worried about me." Magnus smiled. 

"What is going on?" Cat looked concerned.