Part 7

"I have been a fool. I didn't listen to my inner instinct, and I have been acting as an even bigger fool, so this time, even if it takes a decade or even more, let me make up to you." Alec looked like he could cry any second. Magnus observed Alec's face for another minute or so. Alec looked as he had all his walls down, and he was baring his naked heart in front of Magnus. Magnus's alpha wanted to lean in and scent Alec and make him feel all better. His alpha was whining, and the word mine kept on ringing in Magnus's ears. Yet, Magnus felt as if he was stuck. He refused to believe these words. 10 long years. Magnus waited for Alec for 10 years and accepted all the rejections without asking a question, but now? Alec wants to make up to him? He refused to let his alpha take over, and he refused to swoon over Alec's words. 

"Where is this coming from?" Magnus finally asked. 

"The day I met you, I knew there was something different about you. My inner instinct told me to pursue you. My alpha said you are mine and like a fool, for 10 years, 10 long years I did everything I could think of to make you interested in me. It was my fault, I understand, but now that I am finally ready to move on, what are you playing at?" Magnus got up as he could feel himself getting a little bit too worked up. Alec got up a second after Magnus. Magnus walked towards his bar to get himself another drink. He knew why he was getting worked up, but he couldn't understand what gave Alec Lightwood was playing. 

"You go as far as to ask to mute your alpha. You refused my advancements for years. You refused to treat me as an equal whenever no one was around. You made it clear you didn't want me near you or your institute unless it was for business."

Magnus stopped mixing his drink mid-way when he had a light bulb moment. Magnus started chuckling to himself. He felt rage filled pheromones pouring out. His normally Indian sandalwood scent started getting more and more bitter, but he had no intention of stopping himself. 

"It makes sense. It all makes sense." Magnus turned around and looked at Alec, who was a few feet away from him. 

"You are scared that I would not be there for your service 24/7 if I give up on you. Of course, you would have to pay more money and actually respect my existing appointments, You won't be able to make demands like you used to."

Magnus started laughing louder. He has lived century after century. He has been taken advantage of by so many people over the years, but the last person he thought would do something like that was Alexander Gideon Lightwood. But it seemed like he was wrong by a mile. 

"Guess the selfishness run in the Lightwood family." Magnus closed his eyes and tried to centre himself. The last thing he wanted was to lose his control and show his golden colour eyes to Alec. 

"Magnus.."

"I want you to leave my house right now." Magnus didn't want the conversation to go on for another second. 

"Please, let me explain myself." Alec carefully took a step towards Magnus. He gave enough time for Magnus to lash out his magic and threw him out of the loft, but when Magnus didn't, he took it as a small achievement. 

"Magnus, I was naïve. I was extremely naïve. I refused the alpha within me the one thing it ever asked for, and it made me sick to the point that I lost control over a day. I.." Alec took another step toward Magnus, who was refusing to look at Alec. 

"I didn't remember anything when I woke up earlier today, but do you know who I looked for first?" Alec took one more step toward Magnus, and he still refused to look at Alec, but his scent was getting less bitter. Alec took a deep breath in, and the beautiful sandalwood scent immediately grounded him. Alec had never stood this close to Magnus willingly, and Magnus's beautiful scent made him a bit lightheaded as if his body was finally getting what always has been his. Alec observed Magnus's boy language, and his alpha was beaming with happiness when he noticed how Magnus relaxed his tensed shoulder and unclenched his jaws. Magnus was relaxing thanks to his scent just as how he was relaxing because of Magnuss scent.