Chapter 29

Kemar POV

"Bro. Chris mi a tell yuh things a get crazy. Mi ere seh dem a consider fi av curfew due to the pending reprisal which right now would seem like the best thing."

The man who was sitting in the passenger seat of the Voxy I was driving to head to the Airport looked at me with worried eyes. He was no stranger to the aftermath of gang feuds or the emotional aftereffects that it had on those who were unwantedly dragged into it.

"I pray that it nuh spill ova up a White House enuh but from what mi ere Seana duh mi kinda fraid fi z outcome," he returned.

"Sometimes mi look back pan mi time wid Bounty an the gang and wondah what mi really did a think and what the purpose of that time," I said after a few minutes of silence played out.

He looked at me and I glanced at him before turning my attention back to the road. After another brief moment of silence, he responded. "Nothing in our life is ever without cause Bro. Kemar, with every prodigal son story, there is a meaningful ending."

I smiled and nodded my head taking in his words and finding solace in them before I heard him softly say.

"We trust in the Lord with all our hearts because we cannot lean on wi own understanding all wi    affi do is acknowledge that the Lord has reasons for every path he tek us on."

I nodded my confirmation and felt a lot better knowing that one of my father figures was here with me. Over the years Maas Cushayne and Christopher have been steadfast in grooming and guiding me. They were my solid rock when life had become my sinking sand.

"Really sad fi know though that Seana messed up fi ar and Bryan's life. That girl had so much promise but the bitterness in her was so deep that it overshadowed all the beauty that God placed in her life.

Bryan loved her, but mi cyaah stay here and talk when I was not the one carrying the weight of her broken heart."

Hearing Christopher speak about Seana being broken where it truly counted made me realize that in my time knowing Seana, I have never allowed myself to see her for anything other than the annoying troublemaker who never tried to respect my boundaries.

I felt low as I thought back to how being brokenhearted had led me to a life of crime and potential mayhem for my family and the people that I deeply cared about.

I had often figured with her being so strong-willed and forceful she could weather her storms and more so as she had a family both non-blood and blood-related that cared for her.

I had judged her so often and compared her to Cullayne frequently that I never allowed myself to understand deep down she was broken and crying out for help.

"Well, we just have to continue praying for her return."

If only that was possible I thought as his words filled my mind.

Bounty was now in charge and he had blood in his eyes. He was not going to let Seana off the hook when she had manipulated the situation to let him bear the burn of her illicit deeds.

Bounty was seething and with the power now in his hands he was not going to sit and let it simmer he was going to blaze it high for all to see.

Christopher was still speaking trying to bring forth an optimistic view of the dismal situation that plagued us.

"Let's put ourselves in the frame of mind to make this convention a success. Ms Layne going to need us fi be her best supporters as wi storm into the devil's camp and tek back weh he stole from us yeah."

The mention of Cullayne flooded me with the sweetest of feelings and my lips parted in a smile. I would do anything for the woman I love and more so as it was for the building of God's Kingdom.

"I wish her parents could be here but anyhow her fiancé---"

"Cullayne and Taylon are no longer together she's mine now," I blurted out cutting him off before I could stop myself.

I heard Christopher chuckle much to my surprise before he said. "About time."

What? Did everyone know how I felt about Layne?

As we neared our destination I thought of how I was going to handle Taylon being around Cullayne. I was here heading out to pick him up and the others because I was not at ease with Cullayne doing it.

I never really cared for Taylon as he came off as sanctimonious and was often conceited. I knew she was not looking forward to his company but he was after all he was on the church board and acting in the capacity of his ailing father and the well-being of the church was their priority.

I knew I should keep my personal feelings in check but I wanted to bash Taylon's attractive face in for hurting Cullayne when all she had needed was his support and guidance.

I took a deep breath and calm myself. This was not the way for me to be thinking. I was here to taxi Taylon and the group back to Whitemarl not to cause a scene.

I looked over at Christopher as I felt that he was looking at me. I have known him since I was a little boy, he was the man who had saved Maas Cushain's life and was by Ms Lamais's side ever since. His family has become an extension of  Lamais's as my mother and our family have become.

"What?" I grumbled as I braved myself for what was to come.

"Listen mi know yuh from yuh a likkle yute a travel wid mi a night fi guh fishing many things I see yuh guh through and raise up from, "I heard him say. "I am happy for you as well as proud of you like I am of my children. Know that it would be a pleasure of mine to stand by yuh and Ms Layne as yuh continue to build on the legacy if it is the will of God to extend my life."

I felt tears of gratitude flood my eyes and my heart lurched with fatherly love for the man that reached out to me over the years and was still doing so. I nod as my throat is constricted with my emotions and the words that I want to say refuse to come out.

He reached for my shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze and I smiled at him.

"A long time this fi happen cause a nuh now yuh love that girl enuh, but God is the master of time and when He does something it's well done. I am happy fi yuh and Ms. Layne."

This God-fearing man who had been one of them along with Maas Cushayne had never given up on me. When I had strayed from the fold he had remained fervent in prayer and has always been steadfast behind me all the way seeing me through up on my return.

I was happy I had people like him in my life and as I drove into the vast parking lot of the Airport I knew without a doubt I would keep on making them proud. God gave me the family that I needed even though at one point I was blind to it.

It was a pleasure to know that even though adversaries were rising God still held us strong and kept us going and they would always remain by my side seeing me through not because they loved and cared Cullayne but because they love and cared for me too.