Chapter 35

Cullayne POV

"Are you sure you ok Kem?" I asked again as I followed Kemar out of the bar and into the cool night air that was permeated with the delicious aromas that wafted from the jerk pit.

On the outside, I seemed cool, calm and collected but deep down inside I was a bunch of nerves.

He smiled at me and pulled me to his side. "I'll survive babe."

"I could just go back in there a wring his pathetic neck," I snapped feeling both aggravated and relieved in the same breath to know that my uncle finally got put in his place.

He hugged me closer and led me to the gate as he said, "Your uncle is not worth any more of our time and besides I need as much time with my fiance as I can get."

The drama that unfolded with my uncle as well as the news of our engagement was going to be the next big thing. I can only imagine the mixed feelings and the heightened emotions that would surely result from tonight.

The last thing I wanted was for the Convention to be subjected to negativity because knowing how scrupulous people were they would likely be taking tonight's events to a whole new level.

My priority in the past few days was to ensure that every plan that was put in place for the convention was precisely executed, however, it seems that everything that was unfolding was centred around making the upcoming event seem like a trivial event.

First, it was Seana now it was this confrontation with her father at my proposal dinner. In the view of those persons who were lurking in the midst waiting for that moment when they could pounce, this was it and they were ready to mangle that which my mother was trying to accomplish.

I dread to figure out what Taylon is going to say about my engagement at a time when the convention should be at the forefront of my priorities. I hated giving anyone fuel for a fire that was waiting to blaze at a mere spark.

It was sad to know they were going to let it seem I only value myself and nothing else. Being a reader woman and a Christian was one hard road to travel.

I held onto Kemar and tried to pull myself from the sinking feeling that surrounded me. I needed to talk to my parents before they got wind of what went down. I did not want them to think my duty to fulfilling God's purpose was second best in my life.

Lord, I need your strength to face the hills and mountains as I trod the path you are taking me on.
I silently prayed as I thought the happiest night of my life was destined to be marred with my Uncle's bitter resentment.

I felt Kemar's arm tightened about me reflexively
as we were almost at the gate when I heard a voice that left me with chills call out to Kemar.

"I see congratulations are in ordah."

I stood silently beside Kemar and would have kept on walking if Kemar had not turned to face Bounty who was standing behind us his bloodshot eyes staring intently at us.

We remained silent as we stood there. I watched as his lips spread in a smile that did not reach his hard cold eyes.

"I took the liberty to send you a lil gift Young Dawg but if mi did know seh tonight call fi big celebration my wudda did put a bow it."

This time when he laughed his eyes sparkled with cold humour that caused my heart to flutter with chilly fear. There was something about Bounty that made me want to read him but I knew if I did he would know and the last thing I needed was to make a bigger mess of what already unfolded.

"For the last time Bounty mi name Kemar and whatever gift you claim yuh send mi mi alright mi nuh need nothing," Kemar said his voice laced with indifference.

"One ting mi hate a when people gwaan like dem nuh memba weh deh a come from," he said turning to the guys around him and then back at Kemar.

It was clear that Bounty who was at the height of his newfound authority and the power that came with it was not keen on Kemar's behaviour and more so that it was being done in front of his crew members who now stood watch.

I wish Kemar had kept on walking and this confrontation had not arisen because something about Bounty's smug smile and sudden change in attitude had the fear that was surging in the pit of my belly bottom intensify.

What gift could he possibly have gotten for Kemar? I thought to myself as I tried my best to probe into the dark crevices of his mind but my first encounter with reading him was still fresh in my mind so I decided to refrain from reading him and quell my curiosity.

"Think of it as your first official present to your upcoming nuptials," he grinned and then turned his eyes squarely at me.

I read a challenge mixed with a warning in the cold depths of his eyes but it was the sick joy I got from him taking pleasure in other people's discomfort that caused me to glare at him.

I was not going to give him the pleasure of seeing me crumble and fall defeat to the overpowering sensation of fear that he was trying to instil in me. All I wanted was for him to give me a glimpse of what he did to Seana and then I would shackle the wretched evil man he had become because of his childhood abuse and neglect.

I figured though he knew what I wanted and was not going to make it easy on me so I decided to probe the part of him that he was too conceited to hide. That vulnerable part of him that he thought being a thug could mend.

I had already seen from my encounter with him in the shop a few days ago just how tormented and scared he was from being violated and abused by the very person he loved the most.

For a minute I wanted to reach out and soothe the little tortured boy who lay cold, angry and isolated inside of the bitter angry man before me but it went in a flash as I saw him use a hand with a freshly bruised swollen knuckle to pull a spliff from the top pocket of his shirt.

A distorted image of white, blue and red flashed before my eyes and I felt a numbing pain rip through my body as I was being stabbed, punched and hit and I felt my lip part in a cry of pain.

The sound of my distress caused Kemar to look at me as if he realised it was caused by the man who stood before us I watched as he released his hold on me and collared the figure who only stood there looking nonchalant.

"Whatever you are about Bounty know that sinners hide from God but believers hide in God.
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do."

From the dark frown that furrowed Bounty's forehead, it was clear he was at his limit with Kemar. I sighed in relief when his phone rang taking his attention from Kemar.

When he was through listening to what was said he seemed highly animated which scared me more than the hard cold persona that he also is.

"Enjoy yuh present Young Dawg," he said before walking away his crew diligently falling in line.

I trembled as the image of earlier surfaced. Whatever lay in wait for Kemar was going to break him and I found myself saying.

"Let's go somewhere and celebrate, truly celebrate..."

=========================================
Hey, lovies ❤️❤️❤️
It's been a while but we are now at thirty-five chapters. Yeeaaa 🥳

Hope you enjoyed them 😊😊.

See it fit to comment (interaction from readers is always a writer's motivation.)

Leave a vote (shows that the chapters were worth reading.)

Share with friends (this would really be the icing on my cake.)

Also, I would love it if you add A Read~er Woman- The Legacy to your readers list for notifications of future posting of chapters.

Thanks for your support it means so much 💕💕💕