61. A Curious Tale

Kira's echoing footsteps bounced down the Cathedral corridors; the smooth solidity of the stone floor vibrated up through her feet with a familiar sense of purpose; the evocative smell of the Church incense greeted her as an old friend; even the dancing light from the oil lamps which lined the walls induced a sad and urgent nostalgia.

She kept her face down, tucked beneath the shade of her cowl, and followed the knowledgeable strides of Brother Simeon towards Aldwyn's chambers.

It would be strange to sleep without the stars whirling above her, or the damp scents of the forest to lull her towards slumber.

But the nights had grown so cold now.

What a luxury it would be!

Warm bedding and perhaps even a fireplace to sleep by.

And food!

Her hollow stomach rumbled in expectant appreciation.

Brother Simeon unlocked an ornate door and motioned for them to enter.

Kira shuffled behind Aldwyn and Ellis into a room that was much grander than she had expected - far more luxurious than her empty white chamber in the convent - it had its own table and chairs; the walls were adorned with several richly appointed tapestries; two more doors seemed to lead off into other separate spaces.

A recessed hearth sat waiting to chase off the deep autumn chill.

There was even a window!

The nuns had always described such things as openings onto the gateways of Sin, and an expensive and unnecessary luxury.

Even now, with all of the world that she had already seen, it still seemed a peculiar idea - to be safely ensconced inside the dryness of a room, and yet still be able to see the burnished colours of a wet autumn evening, laid out below the vastness of the darkening skies.

Her inquisitive questions burned and wriggled - but she bit her tongue and resisted the urge to say anything, just as Aldwyn had instructed.

Maintaining the intense, suffocating silence had not been an easy experience - especially when the Patrex had mentioned the witch attack. True, she had accidentally dropped her cup of water at the memory of the unnerving horror - but she had still managed to keep her mouth tightly shut.

She tried to force her eyes down low, but they stubbornly gazed about and absorbed the exuberant curiosities of the room.

Another priest entered and deposited a tray of food on the table.

Her nose inhaled the enticing display with keen interest.

Brother Simeon finished lighting the fire and left the room.

Ellis opened his mouth. "But why..."

Aldwyn held out a warning finger; he crossed the room and tested that the door was firmly shut.

The urgent, stabbing questions bubbled up from deep within Kira and tried to force their way out of her mouth.

The continued frustration of silence gnawed and corrupted her insides. But even in her own vexation, she could sense that Ellis was more desperate and impatient to speak. Even back in the Patrex's study, with all those other men watching on, he had twitched and strained - and after all, he had known Aldwyn for much longer than her.

Aldwyn returned and warmed himself by the flourishing fire. He lowered his finger.

"But why did they call you Talmadge?" Ellis demanded.