64. A Decision

Kira shrank back into the timid safety of her chair. Aldwyn strode in through the door; his bustling energy broke the fragile stillness of the room and stole the dreams that Ellis had conjured before her.

He seemed even more haggard and dishevelled than usual - in their days at the Cathedral, he had seldom come back to the chambers to sleep.

And no doubt, all that constant studying in the Library had not agreed with him.

Kira shivered inwardly - who would a regime of constant studying ever agree with?

"Ellis," he said brusquely, without really looking over, "we will be leaving tomorrow. It will be a difficult journey into dangerous territory, but I may need your assistance, so gather your things, and I will bring some extra food from the kitchens to pack."

"Well, that's just it Aldwyn," said Ellis, his chair legs scraped awkwardly as he pulled back from the intimate table.

"I've been thinking these last few days - and I don't really want to go back with you."

"Go back with me?" said Aldwyn. "We are not returning to the cottage. Weren't you listening properly? We will be travelling west for several days - to the caves of the Reevers, to be exact. It will be a hazardous journey, but my research indicates that it may be the only chance we have - the only chance that all humans have - if we are to stop the witches and save this world."

The cosy glow of the fire could not prevent a sinister shiver from rippling down Kira's spine.

The witches?

Those horrifying creatures?

Was nowhere safe from them?

Did Aldwyn really think there was a way to stop them?

"But I'm not your votary any more," Ellis protested, "you can't just order me to go. It's time I branched out on my own..."

Aldwyn put his bag down and stood perfectly still. His eyes softened and shone with such affection as he focused his attention on Ellis, that even Kira was caught in the beam of their tender care.

"Ellis, you have known me many years; you should know that you have been more, so much more to me, than a mere votary."

Kira's thoughts strayed back to the first morning she had seen them together, in the snug kindness of their cottage - she sensed then that she had intruded into the warm heart of a family - and Aldwyn's voice forced those impressions to bubble up again.

"I do not ask this lightly," he continued, "there has never been a time of greater need - and I do not ask your help for my sake, but for the sake of all humans - the very fate of our world now hangs in the balance - and our choices, here, in this very room, may help to tip things in our favour - to give us all a glimmer of hope."

Kira turned to face Aldwyn properly as he stepped towards the table and lowered his voice.

"You must have felt it too Ellis, these past few years, a darkness growing, twisting and conspiring around the edges of the Magik; deep down in your focus; waiting, biding its time - something living and malevolent, an ending distorting its own destiny - so that at times I wonder whether we are wielding the Magik, or it is wielding us. The common folk are wise to be wary of our powers, for I fear that those born of humans can never fully control this shadow, this knowledge - but its poison will end our world if we do not stop it - so we must fight against it, if we can."

Kira's thoughts prickled and brooded as she examined the solemn gravity of Aldwyn's features.

There was no doubting the honest sincerity of his eyes or his words.