Two Thirds is not a Whole (firefoxxlingco)

((Sonja falls ill, but keeps it quiet for a long time. When they finally go looking for her, things quickly go downhill...))

Sonja didn't know when exactly her thaumaturgy got out of hand. She'd spent even more time mixing and dividing and dissolving recently than she normally did, but she didn't even notice the purple spores until the third day. They were small at first, just tiny purple freckles on the back of her hands.

For a while, she ignored them. She made gloves, and when they started to spread across her arms she took to wearing long-sleeve shirts. They were harmless at first, and she dismissed them as just another side-effect of her thaumatic tinkering.

She wasn't wrong. Thaumaturgy was the source of the newfound marks, and while she ignored them they slowly worked their way within her, marking her once-pure body as their own. By the time the time the nausea and sickness set in, it was too late.

* * * * *

"Hey Tucker, have you seen Sonja around lately?" James asked, stopping mid-flight to talk to his boyfriend.

"Not really, why?"

"Well I was thinking we could go out tonight. There's a place in Urulu that looks cool, and I wanted to take you guys and check it out."

"I'd be down, but I haven't seen her since... um, three days ago or so?" ((song lyrics: At the End of the World by tryhardninja))

"Hm." James frowned. "I can't see her on the map. Are you sure she's ok?"

"Honestly, no." Tucker said, a rush of fear filling him for half a moment. In this strange new world, who knew what she'd gotten up to? "Let's try and look. If you head North, I'll head South. I'll stop by her house too, not that she'll be there."

"Sounds like a plan, let me know if anything shows up. I'm pretty much indestructible, but I know you aren't." James said. "Be careful, okay?"

"Of course." Tucker quickly kissed James on the cheek before activating his sigil and heading towards the South while James flew off to the North.

* * * * *

James was worried. He hadn't picked up a single signal from Sonja in almost a week, and he was accustomed to seeing her and Tucker at least once a day, if not more. It wasn't unusual for a person to vanish around here for a few days in a row, but to not give any heads up or anything was extremely unusual and out of character for her. Sonja liked to talk, and James was beginning to miss her constant chatter.

"Hey Tom- oh, hi Jordan." James entered Tom's tree house to find not only the blue-haired man but Jordan as well. They had both been bent over a book, and Jordan appeared to be explaining something patiently to Tom. It was rather adorable, but James had a more pressing matter that was much more important.

"Hey dude, what's up? We were just going over that text from the library again, Jordan thought there was a hidden meaning in there somewhere." Tom explained, and James noticed how they both moved slightly to put space in between each other. A smile flitted across his face, though it didn't last long.

"Have either of you seen Sonja?" James asked, his heart falling when both Tom and Jordan shook their heads. "Oh."

"Why? Is she not replying to your messages?" Jordan asked with a frown pulling at the corners of his mouth.

"She's not replying to anything- she's not showing up on any maps or responding to anything I try. Tucker's looking to the South and I'm headed North."

"Well, we'll keep our ears and eyes open." Tom assured him. James gave him a grateful smile before he took off once more.

Two thirds, after all, was not a whole.