The Song of the Sea (Syndisparklez) (part 1)

((Siren AU. Pirate Captain Jordan is on a mission for his goddess and braves the dangers of a siren-infested bay. Expecting the bloodthirsty sirens he encounters, nothing prepares him for the much more dangerous thing he discovers there.))

"We're closing in on the bay, Captain." Capsize adjusted the wheel, angling the boat to further align with the narrow entrance to the light that was illuminated brightly in the setting sun.

"You're sure this is the place?" Redbeard asked, also studying the landform that they approached gradually- and not without a small dose of fear mingling with the anticipation in their stomachs.

"Look at the cliff outline. If that doesn't look like a tower to you- 'the seaside castle' as she said- clearly your other eye is going as well." Jordan replied.

"I see perfectly well with my remaining eye, mate." Skipper replied, rolling said eye as Rupert scrambled up from below decks.

"Remember what milady said." Jordan spoke levelly as the ship nearly grazed each side of the landform and drifted into the harbor. "Keep your mind on finding the pearls. Anything else is a distraction, and should be avoided completely."

"Do you think they're real?" Redbeard spoke softly, almost inaudible over the sound of the waves. "The sirens."

"I think Jordan's right. Your other eye is going." Capsize replied, pointing straight ahead.

The bay they emerged into was shaped like a nearly-full moon, surrounded by sharp cliffs. Small rocks jutted throughout the shallow waters, and it was on those rocks that they focused their attention. In the shadows cast by the cliffs, the rocks were dotted with smaller, pale-colored creatures.

"They're real alright." Rupert said, putting away his telescope with a look of determination on his face. "Steer clear of the shadows, mateys."

"We're here for the pearls and nothing more. Remember milady's orders, and all shall go smoothly." Jordan ordered, and the ship headed straight for the opposite side of the bay. When they were within a hundred feet of the shore, the singing started.

Rupert was the first one to hear it, and the pirate paused mid-word as unearthly voices reached their ears. It started out soft, barely background noise, but the closer they got to the shore (and the rocks) the louder and more noticeable the song became.

It wasn't lyrical, exactly, nor was it in a language that any of them understood, but to many pirates and lost travelers, the song of the sirens held promises of things beyond comprehension. Rupert went slack-jawed, staring at a small group of sirens that had left the rocks and were approaching the boat with caution.

"Snap out of it." Capsize ordered, and Rupert blinked, shivering slightly as he tore his eyes away and stared at the shore instead. Redbeard gritted his teeth, and Capsize guided the boat towards the rocky beach until the bottom of the boat nearly scraped the seabed.

"Eyes on the prize." Redbeard ordered. "We're here for milady, nothing more."

As Jordan vaulted over the side of the boat and landed in the water with a splash, he mulled over the meaning of the song. It had started off as soft and sweet, but the longer he listened the more it lost its hold on him. For whatever reason, the sirens weren't able to reel him in like the legends told.

He glanced at a group of three sirens who had begun to slowly approach him and scowled. Their perfect faces fell into perplexed frowns.

"Hello Captain." One of them spoke finally, pale grey eyes staring into his own. "Care to take a swim? I promise we won't bite..."

"I want no business with you." Jordan replied shortly. "Leave me be." He pulled his sword out of its sheath ever so slightly, and they stopped their approach, hissing slightly.