kang sae-byeok x reader

31/12/23
happy new year !!
warning: mentions of alcohol, drugs + SA

y/n pov:
debt is something that sticks with you longer than anything else. you just can't shake it. when i turned to a mere life of crime, stealing whatever i could and selling it for a single penny just to go buy more substances, i couldn't live with myself.

neither could anyone else. my family, friends, coworkers, and everyone i knew just left. left me out in the cold to fend for myself, because by god was i the greatest shit starter in the world.

fuck.. why'd i have to be such a screw up? the streets of seoul at eve are not the ideal place for any young woman to be walking around mindlessly.

the poor family-owned businesses that had to deal with my theft continues to haunt me. the drugs. the dealers. the men who wanted more than just drugs.

i guess you gotta do what you gotta do when you're a dropout who has never had a stable life.

so here i am now. sitting at my local coffee shop, alone. im not even gonna buy anything, i just can't be out in the cold 24/7.

outside pov:

the brisk air conditioning inside the cocoa-smelling coffee shop makes you tense up. you look around at all the little families enjoying a nice brunch with their loved ones and your heart breaks a little. sure, it's nice that other people can enjoy their days and spend time with people they care about, but why couldn't that be you?

you wish that was you. you'd want nothing more than someone who cared about you; someone who wanted the best for you even when you didn't know the best for yourself.

suddenly, you're snapped out of your thoughts. a man with dark hair and a basic looking suit sits down at the table you're sitting at. he places a large briefcase down on the floor and looks at you with a twinkle in his eye. a twinkle that made you feel a little uneasy.

"um.. hello?", you mutter uncomfortably to the man. his slight smirk and the way his eyebrow lifts when you look at him gives you a lump in your throat that you try to swallow.

"hello. would you like to play a game?", the man replies, his eyes still fixated on yours.

a game?? why would anyone just want to play a game with a stranger??

your brain attempts to search for the ideal answer to this strange phrase. "uhhh.. what kind of game..?"

"a game with fabulous prizes.", he very bluntly states.

okay, this guy has to be just a little more specific.

"uh, okay, but what's the game?", you reluctantly ask him.

he smiles in pride. "all it is is a game of ddakji. if you win, you get all this money." he opens his large black briefcase to reveal hundreds of thousands of dollars.

"if you lose, i get to slap you in the face."

you scoff at this deal. ddakji? piece of cake.

"okay. as long as i get the money, let's go."

"now, which color do you want to play as?"