02

June 21st, 6:24 P.M. — 2 days prior

"That's not fair!" screamed Lorelei, "I tried not to! You can't blame me!" Orion grimaced, "It's not all about you, Lorelei. I get it. You didn't mean to, but that doesn't excuse what you did. It's not fair to the others, and you know that."

 "But–" Lorelei began as her coworker grabbed her arm. "I will tell your parents. Do you know how disappointed they'll be? Their only daughter, rebelling, after all they've done to protect you. Now, go home and take your pills." Orion spoke, letting go of Lorelei's arm. 

Smoothing down her skirt, Orion walked out of the medical tent. As soon as the door closed behind her, Lorelei ran home.

As she walked inside, her mother beamed. "It was a lovely day, wasn't it, Lai?" "Sure. What's for dinner?" Lorelei asked as she grabbed her chair. Hers was special; it was because of her height difference. "Aw, sweetie, what happened?"

 Lorelei glanced at her mother, "I treated a patient with the right pills because, of course, that means it's not equal. What did you expect? Got in trouble, but it's already been taken care of." 

Her father sauntered into the room, "It smells great in here, Mallory!" Lorelei's mother blushed as she stepped up to give him a kiss. Lorelei rolled her eyes as she slid off of her stool and walked to her bedroom. Every day felt the same. 

 Sighing, she reached underneath her mattress to reveal a bottle of gel capsule pills. "I don't want to," Lorelei said quietly to herself, "I just... I can't help it." She said as she slowly twisted the bottle, revealing the lightly tinted white pills.